Retro road tyres

If you want a ride like a tubular (and who doesn't) a tanwall look and you like throwing money away, then there's only one type of tyre; the Tufo tubular clincher thing.

They really are teriffic and a neat way of getting tubs without all that messing about with glue or tape.

Veloflex Paves + Latex inner tubes = as good as tubulars and more practical :)

I was stunned by how much difference latex tubes makes compared to butly inner tubes with these tyres :D

I'm not being funny but one of the advantages of a tubular tyre is the stupidly high pressures they will run. And you'll never get a traditional clincher that will do that, it would push the rim walls apart.

When I was running S33s on my 2005 Langster I don't think I ever chose a pressure below 140psi on dry tarmac. You're not even supposed to inflate them below 115psi. Apparently the top spec ones will run to 220psi! :shock: Not that I can see the point going quite that far.

You really wouldn't believe how good they are until you try them.

Those S33 might be worth trying actually... 25 euros is cheaper than a Veloflex + Michelin Latex innertube. The Tufos are a bit heavier though.

And my other concern is punctures or slashes... I'd have to carry 2 extra Tufos on my rides, because I wouldn't trust that Pitstop stuff.

What are your experiences with punctures and how do you solve them when on the road?

btw. Do you really need to run pressures over 140 psi? I don't have any experience with it but doesn't the ride get too harsh?

The beauty of tubs is that they tend to give a softer ride than clinchers at any given pressure. I'm told this is down to the fact that the sidewalls can be of a lighter construction. The lower rolling resistance of the higher pressures is not affected by the softer ride.

As for punctures I always used to take some sealer with me. I know a lot of people squirt it in on fitting the tyre, but I never bothered and on the two occasions I did flat I found that squirting in some sealer and giving the tyre a damn good spin would sort the problem. I did used to carry a spare, just like I carry spare tubes for clinchers, but I never used it. Maybe I was lucky.

I use the same method on clinchers these days, it's a lot less hassle than getting the tube out.

Back