The one and only "HOW MUCH IS MY xyz WORTH" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather than me modernising a later retro...

I have a 1997 Kona Explosif that I've owned since around 2000

(here it is a few weeks ago after a clean)

DSC002Large.jpg

DSC001Large.jpg

DSC004Large.jpg

It has a different rear tyre now owing to a bead failure of the one pictured.

The frames in pretty good nick, a few scratches here and there, but no rust. The drive gear is all original, but the brakes I changed to xtr about 5 years ago (along with the handlebars and stem IIRC). I have the original seat post clamp and a flite titanium rail saddle kicking about also

The forks are 98/99 Manitou SX and have gone a bit soft (lacking rebound) so are probably in need of TLC, which is beyond my ability.

I have been looking for new forks, I can find some 2010 80mm V Brake post Rockshox SID's to go on (which i know is sacrelidge) but, and the dilema, I've also been out on a 29er this week and am wondering what the Explosif would be worth bearing in mind the forks may need a look at?

Not that I'm impatient at all, but on Saturday the old girl will be getting some (very) new parts, expect a post that you can all boo at after the weekend :)

I'm no expert on Kona's but guess it's worth about £150 to £200? If you've still got the original brakes I'd put them back on as you could get another £30 or so for the XTR and £20 to £40 for the Flite (depending on condition). I could be out on the bike valuation though so am happy to be told. ;)

I have a Kona Stab Dee-lux currently and might be looking to move the frame on. its a 1999 model. It has been raced and well used so the paint is a bit scruffy these days. I'll chuck some photos up later but has anyone got an idea on price? :D

Cheers

Re: Rather than me modernising a later retro...

Epoch":17ytbt6m said:

DSC002Large.jpg

DSC001Large.jpg

DSC004Large.jpg

The frames in pretty good nick, a few scratches here and there, but no rust. The drive gear is all original, but the brakes I changed to xtr about 5 years ago (along with the handlebars and stem IIRC). I have the original seat post clamp and a flite titanium rail saddle kicking about also

The forks are 98/99 Manitou SX and have gone a bit soft (lacking rebound) so are probably in need of TLC, which is beyond my ability.

I have been looking for new forks, I can find some 2010 80mm V Brake post Rockshox SID's to go on (which i know is sacrelidge) but, and the dilema, I've also been out on a 29er this week and am wondering what the Explosif would be worth bearing in mind the forks may need a look at?

The frames depending on condition on their own go for £150 to £200 on e-bay. Size will be the decider more often than not.
XTR parts will be worth whatever they are currently going for in the for sale section (have a search).
Forks, I have a mate who want your top caps.
Flite saddle £20 ish depending on condition

brocklanders023":fpiret6b said:
I'm no expert on Kona's but guess it's worth about £150 to £200? If you've still got the original brakes I'd put them back on as you could get another £30 or so for the XTR and £20 to £40 for the Flite (depending on condition). I could be out on the bike valuation though so am happy to be told. ;)

Thanks

FluffyChicken":2sviheq8 said:
The frames depending on condition on their own go for £150 to £200 on e-bay. Size will be the decider more often than not.
XTR parts will be worth whatever they are currently going for in the for sale section (have a search).

cheers

Any clues what an Ellsworth Joker frame is worth? None for sale that I can find - need to determine whether to pay my bathroom fitter what I owe him in cash or a frame! :)

Attachments

• Ellsworth.JPG
    Ellsworth.JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 1,306

Epoch":2gzgws11 said:

97 Colombus Max tubing by the looks of things...I understand these were only made in 97 so maybe worth a bit more....I'm no Anthony but the head-tube looks fairly long...is it a 19" frame?

FluffyChicken":1o8r8up1 said:
Epoch":1o8r8up1 said:

DSC002Large.jpg

DSC001Large.jpg

DSC004Large.jpg

Fluffy will be a better judge then me on Kona's. Wow, those old Kona's are worth a bit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back