Raleigh Dyna Tech appreciation and information thread

1992 Voyager:

raleigh_dyna_tech_voyager_101.jpg

Raleigh Dyna-Tech Diablo

Morning all

This long time skulker has finally decided to register and post a reply.

First off, many thanks to the users of this forum who inspired me to dust off the old Dyna Tech and lavish a bit of TLC on the old girl.

I own a circa 1994 blue Diablo and reading the above posts and seeing the pictures on here reminded me of just how much fun mountain biking (and what a great bike the Dyna-Tech) was. So I've got the bike back into working order and have recently been using it on my daily commute over the summer.

I'd forgotten how much I loved the whippy back end and just how quick the short top-tube and long seat-post combination made the bike feel. Add to that the mental paint job (which a young cyclist at a local bike shop recently informed me was "Ghetto" (I still don't know if this is good or bad!)) and you've got yourself something which feels a little bit special.

Vital statistics are as follows:

Frame: 2125 Comp II titanium main tubes (psychedelic purple/pink) with cro-mo head tube, lugs and rear triangle (blue).

Fork:
fitted - cro-mo rigid (black, modern replacement).
spare – rare Halson Inversion elastomer suspension fork (black, needs new steerer).

Headset: 1 1/8th FSA (modern replacement)

Front Wheel: Mavic M232 Argent 32 hole, Deore LX hub and QR with stainless spokes and 1.95 CST tyre (all original).

Rear Wheel: only the original Deore LX hub and QR remain, but are ready to be built into a retro build (original rim and tyre long since gone). Am currently using a Mavic XC717 with Deore LX hub and DT spokes wrapped in a 2.1 Conti Gravity tyre (modern replacement).

Handlebar: Pace Renthal sub-130 (blue), Onza clear grips and Onza Oz 210 L-bend bar ends (black).

Stem: cro-mo, tig welded quill (blue, original).

Chainset: Deore DX cranks (silver, original), single Salsa steel 42t chainring (110 BCD) (black, modern replacement) with SRAM PC-850 chain (modern replacement).

Cassette: 8 speed SRAM PG-850 (11-32t) (modern replacement).

Derailleurs: Deore LX front and rear with DX thumbies (all original).

Brakes: Dia-Compe 986 with Dia-Compe SS5 levers (all original).

Saddle: Vetta (retro replacement).

Seat pin: USE 410 mm (blue).

Pedals: Deore LX flats (original).

Not wanting to go overboard on this, I haven't posted any pictures here because I'm afraid of becoming one of those people who shoves a picture of their baby in your face and expects people to be as excited as they are! That said, if people would be interested then I'd be very happy to attempt (remember, I am new to posting!) to try and get some snaps uploaded.

Thanks again for the inspiration guys! :cool:

Curlo.

Welcome Curlo.
Sounds like you have another nice Dyna Tech there. Don't be shy though and do be sure to post up a few pictures. :D

@ drystonepaul

Cheers for the welcome! As requested, here (hopefully, if I've got the uploader to work) are some shots I took this afternoon.

You'll see that the rear wheel in the pictures differs from the details above in that it's a Sun TL18 on an Alivio hub with an IRC 2.0 Pirhana Pro tyre (borrowed from my 1997 Cannondale M500). I also have some Deore DX SPDs, as well as a spare Deore XT Parallax hub (circa 1996) from yet another rear wheel which I tacoed back in the day.

Dunno if the Halson Inversions are necessarily something which the posters on this particular forum would be interested in, but do let me know if anyone would like to see 'em.

Curlo

Attachments

• DSC_0032.jpg
    DSC_0032.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 2,283
  • DSC_0028.jpg
    DSC_0028.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 2,282
  • DSC_0026.jpg
    DSC_0026.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 2,283
  • DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 2,283
Forgotten how well the blue DIABLO looked. Ive officialy retired the QUANTUM to soft tracks and occasional use as ive just bought a FOCUS black forest pro. Looks the biz and is a blast on fast tracks. The forks are much better than the mag 20s, although they are 16 years old! Still, im happy the QUANTUM survived the last few outings and is still in one piece.

Thanks for the posts guys. I guess it would make sense if it was a 1992 model, as I picked it up in 1994 for a discount given that it wasn't that years' then-current model. I've never been certain of it's specific year (hence the "circa 1994" reference above) but the picture in the catalogue is indeed how the bike originally looked, so I guess it's a 1992 model as you say!

I've resized the above photos for ease of viewing and have added some more photos to my Gallery if you want to check those out.

Cheers

Back