Cabinet of curiosities

That Presto Rapido was offered through a major classified site a couple months ago. The current owner probably there spotted it and bought it back (it was his old bike).

The Rapido is for sure later than the Max tubing frame I mentioned in my previous post. That decal style is later for example. I would think it is circa mid 90s. That it is outsourced to a foreign country sounds plausible to me. Overall by mid 90s outsouring seemed to be the way to go, while the concept of producing quality steel frames in Holland got serious hits. By then Gazelle (Champion Mondial) and Batavus (Professional) discontinued their custom/small series activities overhere. It was also the time Ko Zieleman offered all his frame building equipment for sale through 'FIETS' magazine classifieds...

Today RIH and Duell are still building steel roadframes in house, as is Vittorio, but their core business is randonneurs.

The Gazelle Stayer up close =>>

4742835891_0d599e6978_b.jpg

Why do those bikes actually have a small front wheel? Is it because it allows the riders to be closer to the derny so they can make better use of the slipstream?

Exactly. Getting as close as possible behind the derny. That is also why the odd bend fork is there. Stayer bicycles are subject to very stict regulations btw. For example the distance between front axle and bb spindle has be no shorter than 55cm. This is what Mr Vd Kaaij told me last week, when I visited his shop (RIH). Vd Kaaij has a beautifull example in the shop window >>

4745287073_6e073cb4db_b.jpg

The reinforcements under seat nose and bar-construction are placed there so the rider can position himself as close as possible to the derny.

Of course I did not forget the finishing touch with my Gazelle :mrgreen: >>

4742844241_07a0781bd2.jpg

Picked up this 'Blacky' an hour ago

4782379489_e7424fab18_b.jpg

Legrand made Presto. Spec: mainly a mix of Nuovo Gran Sport and Nuovo Record complemented with Sugino Super Mighty cranks and Universal brakes. The 105 aero levers are a added at some later point. Cinelli 1A/Giro d'Italia cockpit and Unicator seat. I am of the opinion that most parts should make their return with the rebuild.

The previous (and 1st) owner sent me the original bill of 'the Blacky' through post. Super cool.

4815092852_bf0baffbb8_z.jpg

It mentions 13 december 1975 as the date that the original owner took delivery of his "Presto Tour Special". Also specced: Black with silver headtube, chrome fork, frame# 2038. Not specced are the components. They are summed up on an attached piece of paper. The bike was purchased for 1498,50 guilders.

I can't help it... Really don't like bikes from Amsterdam. Mot ik niet.

This however, I do want:

1981visservainqueurfull.jpg

Back