Over the bars...is this the worst crash?

Hilts? Where are you? Compiling a really long post?

;)

My worst off road crashes seem to come when I look at something and think "I'd better not hit that ....... BANG!"

Two crashes, one at either end of the 90's. There is still part of my face that I don't need to shave due to using it as a emergency brake block having piled into the back of a car whose brake lights weren't working! Dislocated my wrist as well and still had to ride home whilst my mate Damien (not that one!) rode his fasted ever 25 miles to get a car. Secondly, my first ride on my lighter than I was used to DNA on Cannock and the damn thing took off like the space shuttle. One dislocated shoulder, one broken and subsequently untreated shoulder and a vindictive set of chainrings in the back of the head!! I kept the helmet to show any offspring why they should wear one offroad! In the first crash I had to make do with the protective qualities of a Bula headband! Shoulder pain and arm numbness limit my riding to this day and not even a scar to show for it!

most painful crash for me was doing about 30mph into a newly built drainage channel on the mountain that wasnt there the day before! broke wrist, sprained other wrist & sprained both ankles, also bent my 92 stumpy comp <RIP> :cry:

I think the old adage "if you never crash you're not trying hard enuff" is certainly true. riding within your limits all the time would get pretty boring. definately the "think you're going to crash, but somehow recover" feeling is 1 of the biggest buzzes on a bike :)

I guess this "crash thread" could get pretty long :D :LOL:

most scary crash was seeing the newly built barb wire fence & knowing I was going to be able to stop in time :shock: didnt hurt as much as you'd think (scars nearly healed 15yrs later ;)

"if you never crash you're not trying hard enuff"

not true, you're just either good or lucky, I crash lots :)

I always find its the aftermath that hurts more, I went over the bars when I hit a home made speed hump, on a private road, had road rash on both knees , shoulders , hips and elbows, it was more painfull the next day with clothes rubbing over them all. Fiirst thought is always , is the bike ok, skin grows back.... :)

retrobikeguy":4v0io6b5 said:
never crashed offroad
& now you've jinxed yourself... let us know when you recover? ;)

Not really had any major injuries (yet), more by luck than judgement. Plenty of minor over-the-bars, sliding out of slippy turns, getting caught up with the person next to you etc... I'll agree that landing on the crossbar is the worst though :shock:

Never used to use spuds when I was a fearless teenager, so I think the numerous scraped shins could be classed as 'getting off lightly'... Still use DX spds on my main rider - so I can clip out before technical / downhill / dangerous bits!

The Ken":3onz8ti7 said:
"if you never crash you're not trying hard enuff"

not true, you're just either good or lucky, I crash lots :)

I've seen john tomac crash in plymouth newnpark grundig course on the "off camber decent" ;)

i managed to come off completely uninjured at 30mph. somehow i managed to dive clear of th bike and execute a perfect breakfall.

cce":3os68w4k said:
i managed to come off completely uninjured at 30mph. somehow i managed to dive clear of th bike and execute a perfect breakfall.

thats soo cool :D I've seen my mate (basil on STW) go over the bar, do starjump & land on his feet... then again also seen him doin about 20mph & hit a sheep.. stop dead.. ouch :shock:

Ziggy":1anqliv4 said:
retrobikeguy":1anqliv4 said:
never crashed offroad
& now you've jinxed yourself... let us know when you recover? ;)

Ooh I tell a lie :oops:

was in some woods near Selby, twas on a hill so you could race on a downward spiral - I didn't see this ditch until I realised my front wheel fitted it exactly...................over you go - luckily I was stopped by a tree on my shoulder, lucky by the fact this was before helmets were taken seriously and if it was my head I may not have been here today :!:

Back