'Scent of a Woman' Clwydian Ranges Ride - June 5th

Great report Neil, sounds like you guys had a top day. I have ridden a few sections of what you rode in the past, great trails and i'm gutted to have missed the day. Any plans to return in the near future? I might have a go anyway as my Dad lives very near to Cilcain.

i'll add my pics etc tomorrow, the camera is still in the van which is still full of bikes and other crap!! :LOL:

Drystonepaul's Unofficial Ride Report

NWA-Clwydian-001.jpg

The first of many gates. (Not a reference to Mr K's very early Muddy Fox)

After picking up Woody and loading up my SmartKart with bikes and kit, the satnav accidentally took us to a dirty McDonalds for a second breakfast. A few more miles down the narrowing lanes took us to Cilcain and our meeting with 'white van man' and honorary NWA for the day Jonnyboy666.
Mr K eventually joined us bringing with him a healthy dose of sartorial wit and tasteful riding attire. After promptly taking the piss out of my car we reassembled further up the hill to unload our retro metal and get on with some riding.

NWA-Clwydian-002.jpg

Modern Classic: JB666 makes a splash and dash

The first climb revealed the first of many fine views, and introduced a brilliant bone dry sinuous singletrack descent down to a water splash. Then after a few numbered gates it was even more downhill.
This did begin to dull the pain of Mr K giving away a Saracen frame that I was hoping to have off him...

NWA-Clwydian-003.jpg

Not so Muddy Fox

Of course at this point it shoud be mentioned that JB666 was in fact riding a modern bike, albeit a rather nice modern bike in the form of an Orange Clockwork limited edition re-issue. Frame number 200 of 200 also came with disc-brakes, working suspension forks and a coffee-maker apparently. Mr Kawaican'tbelieveyou'reonamodernbike was incredulous on his 1985 ish Muddy Fox-before-they-were-Muddy Fox. Both lovely bikes in their own right.
Woody opted for his tried and tested DeKerf Generation and I was on my Titanium coloured GT Bravado in it's fully rigid guise. It is most definitely steel though as the rust patches will testify. (and yes I did have to adjust the seatpost...)

NWA-Clwydian-004.jpg
NWA-Clwydian-005.jpg

Adjusting the captain's log

At the bottom of another hill we stopped while I adjusted a squealing front V-brake, and we were caught by a beautiful vision in yellow, along with her boyfriend/brother/stalker. Who knows who he was and frankly, who cares.
Passing her on the next climb MrK then collected a stick in his spokes so she could catch us up again. What followed was a beautiful game of cat and mouse as she was passed again on the next climb.
By the time we got to the top we were of course hopelessly lost and had to wait to get directions.

NWA-Clwydian-006.jpg

NWA-Clwydian-007.jpg

" I have no idea where we are... Maybe we should all just wait here for a bit just in case somebody comes along who can help us "

NWA-Clwydian-008.jpg

" That's a great idea! I was actually also just thinking the very same thing... "

Our salvation arrived and MrK took one for the team by pretending he couldn't read a map very well which, if you were at his last Welsh adventure you'll know, he does rather well.

NWA-Clwydian-009.jpg

" So tell me again, what are all these wiggly orange lines...? "

NWA-Clwydian-010.jpg
NWA-Clwydian-011.jpg

" Hmmm, that's interesting so it's between these two mounds then...? "

NWA-Clwydian-012.jpg

Admiring the view

Re-engaging our brains we plummeted down from the edge of the forest to the first bit a tarmac we'd seen for some time. My front brake had begun howling now and as we stopped at a gate there was a distinct smell of burning rubber. One of my soft red cartridge pads was coming out it's holder and had partially melted itself onto the rim surface. With no spares I'd have to keep my fingers crossed and make do.

What followed was a 40mph plus road descent with switchback bends. Great fun indeed, before rolling along some quiet lanes to a couple of pubs. One for a pint and the other for food.
I tested the carpentry with my head twice, leaving myself with two lumps, a small cut on my head, a throbbing noggin and a sick feeling my stomach.
The big climb out of the village after lunch seemed to settle things down a bit though.

NWA-Clwydian-014.jpg
NWA-Clwydian-015.jpg

Horses for courses. Nearly at the end of a big long grinder of a climb for MrK and JB

Suffering under the blue skies and with endless horizons to savour we pedalled on, contouring along the hill-sides on grassy tracks and onto seemingly endless, smooth singletrack descents. The odd bit of duck-board and the occasional log to hop added to some perfect riding terrain.

NWA-Clwydian-013.jpg

Flaming June

Eventually though as the clock was approaching 6pm we hit the last big downhill. By this point my troublesome brake pad was beginning to disintegrate and it was screaming and honking like a performing seal. It was annoying and I apologise to all present for spoiling an otherwise peaceful idyll at times, but in truth despite the threat of an imminent and total brake failure, it didn't spoil a thing for me.

NWA-Clwydian-016.jpg

A rest in the shade shortly before the last downhill.

The day's riding was completed with a few miles back on the tarmac and a cruel final climb back up to our vehicles. A visit to another pub for some fluid replacement and to compare notes before we all departed after what was one of the best rides I've done for a long time.

Well done Neil for leading the way and thanks to JonnyBoy for coming all the way up from Southampton too. Good to see Woody as the 3rd member of the NWA Mayhem team out in training too.
And finally a huge thank you to all the girls out there who ride bikes...

Until next time.

NWA-Clwydian-Bravado.jpg

Looks like i've missed a cracker! Great write ups gents, will see you all at Mayhem.

so here's my little write up! won't be as good as those before me but here goes! :D

the reason i decided to do this ride was mainly because of the hills!!! :D living in the flatlands of hampshire is not ideal training for the mountain mayhem course!! :D so i decided to make a good weekend of it. i stopped at cwmcarn on friday on the way up as this would break up the driving which to north wales is almost 5 hours! :shock: so i hit the xc loop and had some fun on the downhill sections, i was riding my modern ST4 for this as i like full suss for cwmcarn. then came the long drive from cwmcarn to nannerch, 3 and a half hours on country roads after 2 and a half in the morning! :shock:

saturday morning came and after being fed an awsome full english/welsh/british breakfast at my b+b i left for Cilcain, the start point for the ride, there was no parking in the village so we had to drive up to the viewpoint to park (this would come back to haunt us) after unloading the bikes i got a suitable dressing down by mr K for riding modern toss, it was retro themed though being steel and in a classic paintjob, but that just wasn't good enough, i felt embarrassed, i had let them down, pitiful behavior for a deputy AEC. :oops: Mr K specifically put me to shame in the retro stakes with his stunning retro beastie! :cool:

off we went, initially thinking this doesn't seem too hard at the mo, a gentle first climb took us out on to the range with an awsome view at which point Mr K said we were about to hit the first downhill section, i hit the switch on the leftside of my handlebar, suddenly giving me 100mm of suspension on the front of the bike, i got a look of disdain, then a hand gesture suggesting that i'm self lover!! :LOL: that's probably where the bike and me were christened "modern toss!" :LOL:

after that was alot of up and up and down and up and more up and a bit of up followed by some gate opening, we sort of developed a system of taking turns as there were so many of them which on one downhill section was really frustrating!! :x

the pub stop happened after 17miles where we were told "sorry no food" Mr K and DSP opted for the local ale anyway, me and woody kept our sensible heads on, me with caffiene cola and woody with a refreshing lemon and lime, by the time we'd got to the next pub option a mile away you'll notice that the 2 non alcohol drinkers didn't go around the place smashing up doorframes with our foreheads!! :LOL:

there was good conversation, bike related of course as well as talk of beautiful girl bikers! :cool: :D

the 14 mile return leg started ok enough until we turned up a country lane that was a 1 in 7 climb . . . that went on . . . . and on . . . and on . . . and you get the idea! :shock: i refused to get off, DSP and woody made it look easy . . . gits. :LOL:

not long after this, and after the one and only mechanical, woody's puncture, we hit a road descent and hit the road for the last part of the ride back up to Cilcain at which point i was cursed by the others for suggesting a high parking point :oops:

drinks were had before saying goodbye, i had a 10minute drive back to the B+B at which point i sunk into a warm bath knowing that the guys were still driving for atleast an hour, i have to say i didn't feel guilty about that!! :oops:

i'd like to say a big thanks to Mr K, DSP, and woody for allowing a southern fairy to be a northern monkey for a day!! :D although FYI, i am a northerner by heritage, i moved from the north when i was 12 so i am a hybrid! oh god, modern toss riding fairy monkey!! :LOL:

the ride was great the company was awsome, what more could i ask for. fantastic days riding :D :cool:

i capped off the weekend by hitting some trails at coed y brenin on sunday morning while it was still quiet before the rush, the adams family downhill sections are awsome, fast, flowing and technical, smile inducing trails. :cool:

after this came the long drive home 4 and half hours,

was it all worth it? . . . . . . **** yeah!! :cool: :D

here's my pics :D in no particular order :oops:

Attachments

• cheers again!.jpg
    cheers again!.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 647
  • cheers!.jpg
    cheers!.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 647
  • downhill.jpg
    downhill.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 647
  • over that way somewhere!.jpg
    over that way somewhere!.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 647
more pics :D

Attachments

• puncture.jpg
    puncture.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 646
  • the final insult climb to the car park.jpg
    the final insult climb to the car park.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 646
  • the last offroad section.jpg
    the last offroad section.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 646
  • which way.jpg
    which way.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 646
More great write ups Paul and jonnyboy, seems you guys had a top top day :D

I recognise a lot of those trails too, although you seem to have ridden some of them backwards :LOL:

Still gutted I missed this one! And that girl seems strangely familiar :?

drystonepaul":28tul9pp said:
Easy_Rider":28tul9pp said:
And that girl seems strangely familiar :?

You did say that your Dad lives in Cilcain... She's not your Sister is she? :shock:

:shock:

I think I would have grown up very confused if she was :LOL:

Latest posts

Back