Size of screw inside XC51 forks

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Anybody know offhand what size the allen key screw is that's at the bottom of the inside of the stanchions of Marzocchi XC51's? It's hard to see and I know I need a long one to reach it so I need to buy one - but want to make sure I get the right size! It looks like 5 or 6 or 7mm but not sure....

6 mm. most bike shops will have a long one, many manufacturers used m8 bolts to hold lowers on. if you take a good bike shop a box of cakes/biccies/chocolates, you are bound to be able to borrow one ;)

I bribed my next door neighbour in the end who cobbled together one out of a swan off allen key and long socket wrenches!! I have to true his rear wheel in return!

Did the job too. Changed the oil, etc. However the slider is sticking - could the inside of the stanchion be corroded? Can't quite see. Seems to move up and down OK when I manually do it. It pops out ok too when pushed up the inside of the leg, but when I reassemble the fork it sticks again...?

the forks will have 'bed in' to some extent over the years, and your taking them to bits will have moved the sliders relative position around the stanction. a good ride will bed them in again. if you look really closely in a good light you will be abe to see very small score lines in the chrome on the stanctions, these are caused by both muck in the old seals and also from the bush and slider rubbing as you cycle the fork. it is these marks not lining up any more that make it feel sticky. as long as they are not too deep, there is nothing to worry about.

wow, coont half waffle, coont i?

all good stuff - cheers. However when I say sticking - I mean not just stiction but comes to a complete halt halfway down the travel and stays there - then I look again a day later and it has eventually returned...

Latest posts

Back