My Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Cheesedisease

Senior Retro Guru
Hello. Been lingering posting in the WTD and FS mainly, but just stuck up the RJ Quinn I've built in the Retro Classics Forum. So thought I'd stick up my ride too - a Bob Jackson Vigorelli. Here it is, hopefully.

bob_jackson.jpg

Will stick up some better photos if I get a chance.

Handsome! What are they like to ride? I've been thinking of buying a BJ frame for a while...

I think it's real nice to ride. I'm on it everyday to work and its fun. I could throw in words like stiff, responsive etc. Which I think it is. But as it's the first nice frame I've had I'm going to think this anyway.

If your thinking about one... I sometimes wish I'd taken the time and had a bit more knowledge as to my perfect size when I got it. It's very close. But when I got it they were super busy so building to order anyway so could have got a custom in the same (long.........) time probably. Although not sure how much more that is. Worth checking out.

I have a few small niggles about it. But all cosmetic. I don't really know what the ettiquette of critiquing such things harshsly on a forum is! But anyway...

I could be overly influences by it arriving packed in a box of bike store crap and trash, as that made for a not entirely impressed start! It's a touch over-sprayed, and a few lugs could have been filed down - ridges / seams showing on the front of the headlugs for example, and a couple could have been filled a bit more. They fitted the headset for me beautifully and don't charge labour on doing so, but had not faced the tube. At first I thought it was my bars / stem clicking but after a multitude of set ups, I got the headset removed saw it needed faced and once done it was fine. Last thing! The brake drop on the forks is also more of a long reach rather than than the 39mm-49mm they list. Partly the perils of online ordering. I swear next time I'll make the effort to go to whatever shop I use and not be so lazy.

Overall, I think they make nice frames, I am very pleased with it. But customer service wise and details wise maybe suffer a little, they're probably crazy rushed with the current demand for track frames. Don't know if that's a reasonable excuse, but probably fact. Such experiences can leave you liking a bike but maybe not loving it. And don't get me wrong, I totally enjoy it, it is 'handsome' and it's great to ride which counts most. I think they were closer to £300 early 2009 when I ordered it so not a bad deal. £375 now though.

Excuse the diatribe, didn't know I'd scribe all that!

Looks sweet, nice and simple. Bob Jackson's resprayed my Argos and did me some new brake mounts - I can't complain at all. The guys in the frame/paint shop were dead helpful and the job's top notch, especially for the price. It did take ages mind...

Hey Jeffscapeshop... yeah spotted you there too. Oh, never heard, how did you get on with those spokes I sold you, the wheel turn out okay?

Back