ProFlex 1996 856 Rebuild - ON HOLD !!!

just to gee you up mate, I'm at this point with my build haha

27066_386305746050_603521050_4475783_2767830_n.jpg

I am still collecting (mostly new) bits ... :oops: :LOL:

I have found it's far easier to get great deals on new stuff though then find great condition retro stuff ;-)

If I get chance I will take a few pics tommorrow night and post them up :)

Only short of a headset (swaying towards hope), cassette and wheels now - not bad for a build that started with nothing other than a freebie frame / fork :shock: :cool:

So, has anyone got a set of ceramic crossmax's (bladed spokes) in A1 condintion they want to sell me ? ;-)

WD :)

A few pictures of the latest bits I have been collecting :)

M970 crank / bb (eBay) :

DSC05026.jpg

The guy selling it told me it was new - the seal on the box hadn't even been broken ! :cool:

To try and keep them looking nice I thought I would try 'Crankskins' (eBay) :

DSC05000.jpg

I didn't choose the red set, the guy got my order mixed up so I ended up with double :) I ordered the smoke but I think I may actually end up just fitting the clear skins so it looks 'OE' :cool:

The matching pedals (great deal of a mate in the trade ;-)) :

DSC05017.jpg

Ourys (from a cheap link posted on here) :

DSC05008.jpg

I have gone with these to give a bit of protection to the ends of the carbon bars.

USE carbon cage (Ebay) :

DSC05012.jpg

It took a bit of work with the wet n dry to get the letters neat - I was a bit surprised how they were when I first got it :?

Ringle copy (thanks manitou916) :

DSC05014.jpg

Not sure if this is one of elites - did anyone else make knock offs ? When I can decide what colour to go with the ano, this will be done to match :)

Ti spring for rear (thanks again manitou916) :

DSC05016.jpg

A little longer than stock but it's proressive so it should be approx the same rate when compressed to standard length - same number of coils and same wire diameter so it shouldn't get coil bound, we will see ... :LOL:

Tyres (cheap Internet deal) :

DSC05028.jpg

I know I had some blue fires but I still can't decide on frame colour - black walls will suit anything, and they are light :shock:

Just wheels, headset and cassette left to source now. Then I only need to decide what colour to do the powder and ano ...

Another piece of the jigsaw turned up yesterday :

DSC05030.jpg

12-27 9 speed Dura ace. Brand new for £56 of fleabay :cool: It was worth waiting up to 1:00 in the morning to throw in a last minuet cheeky bid :LOL:

Not many bits to go now … :)

hi all
great reading this thread. i have an 857 frame with vector 2 fork on the way for my next build right now. has the carbon fibre rear swingarm. ineresting seeing what you've done. good job. i like the shifter/brake levers you are using. was thinking about using the same. will be watching for the fianl product.
roy

Retro_Roy":1i1julel said:
hi all
great reading this thread. i have an 857 frame with vector 2 fork on the way for my next build right now. has the carbon fibre rear swingarm. ineresting seeing what you've done. good job. i like the shifter/brake levers you are using. was thinking about using the same. will be watching for the fianl product.
roy

Thanks Roy :D

The leavers seem nicely made, I have never used them before but for £75 brand new and posted to my door I couldn’t refuse :LOL:

I really like the frames with the carbon swing arms :cool: I would have much preferred one of those :( but I don’t think I could have got one for free as I think the carbon might have stopped it finding its way into a skip :shock: :D

Cheers,

WD :D

Hmmm this topic has made me think, the fork and swingarm on my 856 are scratched and generally not that nice looking and they would really benefit from doing up. They don't appear to be laquered, I'm guessing they are anodised? How difficult would it be to polish them almost to a mirror finish?

My fork wasn't laqured but my swing arm was, turn it over and have a good look around where the chain slap is or try picking one of the big stickers off.

The forks (if striped) would be quite easy to polish but the swing arm would be a bit more tricky.

I think if I was going down that road I would strip them and take them to a metal polishers, let them do most of the work and then tart up the arkward corners etc when I got them back. I suppose it depends how much time you have but I reckon to do those bits at home to a standard I would be happy with would take up most of my spare time over a weekend ! :LOL: I don't seem to have enough spare time as it is :-( ! :LOL:

Anyhow, I didn't think you were reading this thread anymore ? ;-) :LOL:

Back