wtd: wide axle for a Moulton

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
To remove the cottered cranks I need a wide fitting axle as the shell is very wide

measurement B on the original axle is 62mm as shown on the SJS diagram below:

22145cotterless_xl.jpg

It's for a Minx or Mini with raleigh 26tpi and 73mm hub shell.

If you want a loose BB axle you have to use one with a "7' prefix. From memory Tioga did one as did Ritchey.............. 7S would be ideal with a standard crank.

Otherwise running a stb bb tap through the threads should let you use a 73mm sealed bb........

Andy

I'm amazed you don't have a twenty yet :)

Andy

p.s- if you find 7 series bb axles i could do with about 6 for my Moultons/twentys..................

Andy (just bought another Moulton y/day)

fatfixie":2qa175z2 said:
I'm amazed you don't have a twenty yet :)

Andy

p.s- if you find 7 series bb axles i could do with about 6 for my Moultons/twentys..................

Andy (just bought another Moulton y/day)

no luck so far

the threads on my Moulton's BB are standard BTW.

standard with a 73mm shell is very unlikely- but if that is the case just use a 73mm shimano bb- much less hassle.

I picked my "new" one up today- appears to be a UK made (most of mine are made by malvern star over here under licence) with what appears to be a small frame, but 16" wheels and a Duomatic rear hub...........

Andy

well, without prior knowledge of Raleigh specific threading - I bunged and old Shimano BB to see how far the threads go. Until I read Sheldons article I didnt realize Raleigh used different threads for BB as well as their headsets (which I've come across)

Back