Spraying clear onto carbon ? Spraying onto powder coat frame

retrobloke

Dirt Disciple
Anyone help with 2 questions to do with spraying. Is it possible to spray clear lacquer onto matt finish carbon, without any chemical reaction happening to damage the carbon bonded to alloy joints (Alan frame).
Is it possible to spray, spray can paint onto powdercoating, to achieve a panel/band to then put decals onto. Anyhelp would be gratefully received.

From personal experience Chas Roberts used to powder coat their frames in white first then spray them with the required colour. I think they then applied the decals and applied a layer of laquer on the top.

Over time the colour got chipped but the powder coat stayed on and so their was little chance of rust or blistering.

I'd definately recommend it if you want a durable finish!

In terms of laquering carbon fibre, i'd be very cautious. The resin will almost certainly be a thermoset polymer, and although generally more durable than thermoplastic it could react to any solvent in the laquer.

Thanks Jonboy it sort of confirms my initial thoughts. It's just that the matt finish is very dull more through age. I might try spraying the powdercoat finish, just to bring life to the present colour.

Back