Lampre Colnago X Light

My all time favourite frame and colour scheme.

The Time forks make it a 2000 model I think. My Oval Master in Mapei colours has them and some c40s had them too.

I am trying to afford a new Master frame and would really like to get it in Lampre colours. Adds about £150 to the price though.

I would build it with 10 speed Campag. Delta brakes are about 10 years too old for the frame.
Apart from the Carbon cranks and skeleton brakes Campag Record hardly changed between 2001 and 2009. My 2001 Campag Record looks (and works) the same as the 2009 parts.
Deda Newton parts have not changed much since their launch in 2000 so new parts would be fine.

Beautiful, it would go well with this:

91kvgk.jpg

303k7d0.jpg

b

Very good retro helmet, but don't be fooled by the lugs; the Colnago Master is 2000 / 2001 so we should be thinking of the kind of kit that Lance was using for tour number 2/3 (vs Pantani on the Ventaux etc)
The helmet (and Campag Delta brakes) are more 1992; Lance at the Barcalona Olympics / Early Indurain / Bugno / Chiapucchi at the Tour.

Still in love with the frame. I might ask Mike at Maestro if he has a 58 Master in stock. I am seeing him tomorrow.

Build update - despite clearly not being period correct it will 'feel' correct (for me at least) with early 90s Chorus and Deltas (the latter not Chorus) - got the Deltas and the Chorus groupset should be on the way any day now..

Clinching factors in deciding the build were my 'wattle and daub' preference for downtube levers (which meant getting a load of modern indexed stuff seem perverse as well as unnecessary) and the difficulties in finding an early 2000s groupset (I had imagined that there would be some around as people upgrade but apparently not).

Saddle? Given the other components a Rolls I suppose. Bar tape? Tempting to go with pink but thinking as dark a blue as I can find.

Don't suppose anyone has a silver ITM Big One in inch ahead spare? The yellow one I have would look good on a Bianchi Pantani replica but might clash a bit on this one.

A frame as big as that needs a big 140 or 150 mm stem
Maestro sourced a 140mm 1 inch ITM Mutant stem for me last month. It is getting difficult to find new 1 inch stems.

Saddle could be San Marco Rolls, Regal or Concor.

I supose Lance's comeback will keep Concors in production for a few more years...

Back