DiamondBack Apex 1990

Many thanks for the kind comments.....so an 89 perhaps...cool.

Have had a an offer of a correct ( ish ) saddle above...so just need a seatpost in better nick...or perhaps i will have this one refinshed if its not too bad...haven't looked yet..

I must admit, i am surprised how heavy it is...mind you there is probably a fair few grams of congealed grease, oil and mud mix in the nooks and crannys.... :D

Analog Kid":3cwm0ywo said:
I'd say '89 too, my Ascent (with the ridiculously cool iridescent lilac smoke paintwork :cool: ) was from around that era, I think I got it in early '90 or late '89 as an outgoing model.
And you're completely spot on, there - it was a staggeringly cool paint job (lilac smoke).

The Ascent in that colour scheme was what got me hooked on Diamond Backs, BITD. A year or two later when I bought one (92, I think) I would probably have bought an Ascent / Ascent EX, 'cept the paint jobs weren't as cool, then - and an Apex wasn't so much more, so I got one of them.

If they'd still have sold the Ascent with that lilac paintjob, though, and I'd have probably thrown all reason out of the window and just bought that.

On second thoughts i'm thinking actually 1990?

89 all had straight fork blades,

If these have been swapped out I want to meet who repainted the curved ones Keitht's ones, that person need to be bought a beer!

I'm no expert in the ways of bike painting, but you can recreate that effect quite easily (did for a friend in the 90's). All you need is the base colour sprayed on (rattle can for me, never had the proper kit), then you need to get something flammable like cardboard, light it, then run it over the paint you've put down. The smoke from the burning creates the effect so all you need to do after that is add a top coat.

Hope this helps.

Ian

It's definitely a 90.
The 88s had a Ubrake and curved forks .
89 had cantis and straight forks .
90 had brake booster stays . Cantis , O/size headset , first gen' piano shifters , and went back to curved forks .

Yea .The golden age of DBs .
I retired my'89 Axis after 20 yrs of use / abuse . I was very fortunate to stumble upon Harry Leary's own personal ex works 89 Axis ,from when he briefly did a bit of MTB.
Cant believe you guys missed it .

Attachments

• axis of evening.jpg
    axis of evening.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 1,857
muddyfox_courier":34tkahf8 said:
Yea .The golden age of DBs .
I retired my'89 Axis after 20 yrs of use / abuse .
What is this "retiring" of bikes, you speak of?

Have you fogotten where you are? ;-)

Back