Old, older, oldest 'Dales

posh26":1e75cn35 said:
1989 SM 400
Cannondal stopped the 24" rear wheel in 1988 with the SM600
In 1989, Cannondale still used the 24" wheels but only for the little sized (16") sloping frame (SM600 and SM900). But it was a 24x24" bike, not a 26x24"…

My business is moving pianos, which puts me into several homes every day. I see a lot of bikes in garages, and yesterday I saw this one, covered with what looked like ten years of dust.

I offered to trade part of the price of the move for the bike, and got it for less than an hour of my professional services. I still have to find a bolt-cutter to take the lock off, since the owner no longer knew where the key was.

I had to run it by the fanatics at MTBR to get the details, but it is a mid- to low-priced model from 1995, the F500 "Adrenalin." There are a few scratches in the paint, but other than that it is in perfect condition.

A little small for me, but perfect for my wife, and I can't complain about the price.

Attachments

• Cannondale_01.jpg
    Cannondale_01.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 2,856
^^^ Good work there. My mate had an F bike (I think they shared the same frame) and it was great.

I just read an MBUK review of that bike actually and it did rather well.
They stated that the frame was well worth holding on to and upgrading the componentry...

...i'll see if I can dig it out when I have more time - must go to work!

ive got the 1986 sm 500 frame set and that was the first year of the 26x26 wheel size and its for sale lol i will get rid of it one day :LOL: :LOL: and first flight the gurus of old cannondales they know more than me they are like gods in that respect :D :LOL: :LOL: :cool:

A friend of mine gave me the ebay link for this bike. Ihe saler wrote it's a 1985 bike. The 1985 and 1986 C'dale were the same, with the same groupo, the same frame, the same color (green or yellow). So it's difficult to know exactly the year. Only the number wrote under the BB can give us the year of built. I'm not sure that 1986 was the first year with 26x26 wheels, It depends the birthday of this SM600.
cannondalebike002gi7.jpg

On other hand, I ever seen your frame. What a pity you change the original decals by these modern and very ugly decals ! The cannondale station drown on the front of the frame is for me the most beautiful cannondale logo.
I drew all the decals of my 1988 SM600…
If you need, I can give you the vectoriel file by mail…

The 1988 cannondale decals of the mountain frames… (The file you can download is in the 1/1 scale, 300dpi, but in jpg…)

The 1987 SM900. I first saw pics of this funny colored bike in the retrobike gallery there
But, the following picture is scanned from the n°1 of the french magazine "VTT mag". This bike is a small size (16") with 24" wheels rear and front…

Back