* Dunkeld * Macretro Official Ride* Sat 30th Jan 2010

ZZ, your still giving me a lift, your reliable, Daves not :roll:
He wont deny this slur on his character either :LOL:

Recce run today at dunkeld.... the hermitage side.

I switched sides as there was no access to the carpark we used last year because of snow and the Loch Ordie Area was shrouded in mist.

dunkeld_17_01_10_876.jpg

We definitely do need a bit of a melt as the uphill fireroad nearly killed me and so did the downhill.

I didn't do a long loop because I had to walk too much because of the depth, but the downhill trail/track/rockfield was relatively clear but incredibly slippy.

I passed a couple of full sussers going up and the said "respect" because I was riding rigid - how did I reply? Yup fell flat on my face 5 yards down the trail :oops:

Our snow up here near Aberdeen has all but gone from the coastal forests - head in land and it's a different story.

TK do you reckon you'll get another recce before the event?

I'll try and get up there next weekend but I can't promise - that side did look like it had less snow but it is hard to tell at a distance and the carpark was inaccessible, we could park elsewhere though if nessecary.

Right lads - I've been given a green light for this one

So do I bring the Raleigh which is nice but totally rigid or do I rip down the Raleigh and build the untested RTS with it's cromo rear end and mag 10's??

Right, based on the reports from all the 7 stanes which are all near unrideable due to ice and snow I think all those without snow/ice tyres should make some. All those in the process should get them finished :shock:

Last 4 weeks have taught me to ride in snow but I still cant do ice without spikes :roll:

Other than that I'm looking forward to it, need to dig out the serious thermals though as I'm way too skinny for Dunkelds winter wonderland.

I'll do one last "survey" of this on Sunday - if it looks really bad we can...

1. Still try to do it and just have a laugh and a pub meal if we can't.
2. Relocate the ride to somewhere with less snow - Carron Valley? Blairadam? Africa?
3. Postpone it for a couple of weeks :(

I would like to give as much notice as possible on alternatives as some of us are coming a long way for this ride. But I'm hoping there will be enough thaw to make it rideable.

Back