A new warm home for a poor Cinder Cone

Aaldert

Kona Fan
Hi people,

I own a 1996 Cinder Cone since new, it is a size 18". My girlfriend would like to ride with me and so do I, but she has no bike. My bike feels a little bit too large for my girlfriend, so I was on the look for a 17" or perhaps 16" frame or an affordable complete bike.

As most of you people I am a frequent ebay watcher. In September I found a Kona Cinder Cone from the year 1997 on the ebay. The looks were not very well, but it was a size 16", advertised as a size 17". Well I just wanted to try the frame. So the bidding started and I won.

So in October, a few weeks later, a funny shaped package was delivered by the mailman. I was excited and curious, because what I could tell of the photos was that the frame had been seriously abused.

So the unpacking begins...
1997KonaCinderCone_007.jpg
1997KonaCinderCone_008.jpg

1997KonaCinderCone_009.jpg

1997KonaCinderCone_010.jpg

1997KonaCinderCone_015.jpg

1997KonaCinderCone_029.jpg

The frame had not only been abused, but neglected as well.
But the good new was I had a second Cinder Cone and the frame seemed to be in good condition, despite of the many paint chips. So I started to remove all the parts and gave it a good clean. The frame even started to shine at some spots.

Tapping on the frame gave a good clear crisp sound, so it seems that the frame was not broken, nor cracked. It looked like the frame would be a keeper. We only needed to ride to make sure it would fit.

That parts that were removed from the frame were given a thorough cleansing. The large chainring, the shifters and the headset were worn out and damaged, so I threw these in the bin. All the other parts are still usable, so I could fit the again on the frame.

I told a family member I was doing a restore and the next thing I new was that he had given me all his stuff that was just laying around on his attic.
The stuff included a 1997 LX chainset, a pair of wheels with 1997 LX hubs and rims, a 1997 XT short cage rear derailleur.

In the mean time I had bought a pair of XTR shifters, a pair of XTR brake levers and a pair of XTR brakes. Also I bought a pair of Bontrager Superstock wheels. The wheels are black, since my girlfriend wanted the bike repainted in a pale light blue. With that colour, black would be the choice of colour or the other components.

I started to assemble the bike with the components that I have gained. I allready had bought a Kore a-head stem and a Kore rise bar.

An other bike turned up on ebay, a 1997 Kona Hahanna. I couldn't resist this bike, since apart from the seatpost and the saddle it seemed exact as the bike that was sold 12 years ago. Even the tires were the original Sniff and Scratch. We went to Germany to collect the bike. The bike was exact what I had expected. It is really nice.

The 1997 Cinder Cone came with forks, but they were not pretty. So I transfered the P2's of the Hahanna to the Cinder Cone.

Below are pictures of the bike at that point.

CinderCones654.jpg

CinderCones655.jpg

The bike could be ridden.
It rides well, the size seems right, at least for me. So this bike was a keeper!

At least we have provided a new home for the poor neglected Cinder Cone where it will get the attention that she, it became a she in the mean time, deserves.

I will update the build in later posts.

Aaldert

I bought a Cindercone, same age and size, as that back when they were new. It was a brilliant bike. Although being fully rigid did give me a battering when out around the lakes!

Nice turnaround from when it originally landed :)

A new warm home for a poor Cinder Cone - Part 2

So the story continues ...

To upgrade my 1996 Cinder Cone, I had bought a 1995 Rock Shox Quadra 21R fork of the eBay. This fork was still in a very good condition, the lacquer is in an almost perfect condition and the micro-cellular urethane, MCU, suspension parts are also still in good condition. The fork had a threaded steerer tube and came with a black no-name threaded headset in good condition.

Unfortunately the steerer tube was too short, so it kept unemployed in the shed.

When I got the 1997 Cinder Cone I took the Quadra fork out of the box again and measured the steerer tube and the frame. It was a match!
If only I had an other quill stem laying around...

I also bought a Rock Shox Judy XC with an unthreaded steerer tube with sufficient length to fit on my 18" Cinder Cone. This fork however needed restoration. When I restored the fork, using an new damper with spring kit, I could mount the fork. This meant that my Project 2 had to give way for the Judy and that I had an unoccupied quill stem. The Judy must be mounted with an a-head set and stem.

So, I had the fork, I had a nice black headset and I had a quill stem. So the Quadra was mounted on the frame. That is nice. The colour of the fork matches the pretty bad chipped blue colour of the frame. I also mounted the seatpost and saddle from my other Cinder Cone. The saddle is a Vetta TT Transferse limited edition in blue with a heart and barbed wire embroidered, really cool. The saddle even has a yellow tip. The match was perfect.

I took the bike out on a ride during a snow storm and took a picture.

1997CinderConeindeSneeuw1.jpg

The wheels are not the proper ones, but was ridable.

In the mean time I have mounted the black Bontrager wheels and a black Kona post and black Flite saddle I bought here from user mayco. After that I mounted the short Onza bar ends I bought here from user locketirol. Thanks guys! I also acquired and mounted a matching XTR front and rear derailleur. The bike looks really cool in blue and black with touches of gray. It is a bit stealthy. I couldn't take any pictures of it yet, the weather wasn't that good lately.
When the son comes shining through I will take some pictures and post them.

Now I have a nice "new" bike, but I have another dilemma. I think the original blue with yellow decals suit the bike well and the yellow Quadra fork is a really nice match. But I my girlfriend wants the bike to have a nice light blue colour. The example of how the bike eventually might look is this photo.

Kleur-Spotbikes-Longboardsmall.jpg

The problem is that the yellow Quadra will not math the light blue I think and I don't want to respray the fork. So back to the rigid gunmetal gray Project 2 perhaps?

The specs so far are:

Frame: Kona Cinder Cone, 1997
Fork: Rock Shox Quadra 21R, 1995

Headset: unknown, black threaded
Stem: Kona Velocity, 1996
Handlebar: Kona Race Light, 1996
Grips: Lizard Skins, aprox. 1997
Barends: Onza Short, 199?

Brakes: Shimano XTR BR-M951, 1999
Brake Pads: Shimano XTR
Brake Cables: Shimano XTR
Cantilever cable hangers: none
Brake Levers: Shimano XTR BL-M950, 1999

Shifters: Shimano XTR ST-M952 Rappidfire, 1999
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR FD-M952 28,6mm top pull, 1999
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR RD-M952 long cage, 1999
Derailleur Cables: unbranded
Cassette: SRAM 9 Speed Powerglide
Chain: SRAM
Cranks: Shimano Deore LX FC-M563, 1996
Crank Bolts: unknown
Chainrings: Stronglight and other
Chainring bolts: unknown
Bottom Bracket: Shimano LP-26, 1997
Pedals: Ritchey Logic SPD, silver, 1999?

Hub Skewers: CODA, 199?
Rims: Bontrager Superstock wheelset, 199?
Hubs:
Nipples:
Spokes:
Tyres: CORDO CRD-Rocker
Tubes: unknown

Saddle: Sella Italia Flite, 199?
Seatpost: Kona Thumbs, black (by Tahoma?), year unknown
Seatpost Binder: Kona, 1997

Weight: unknown, but not very light

I will keep you updated on the build.

Aaldert

Pictures so far...

Hi,

Today I shot some pictures of the bike so far. The tube of the front wheel is broken, so I put another wheel on the bike. There are a few things I have to change, besides a new coat of paint, but the bike is nice and rides well.

1997CinderCone149.jpg

1997CinderCone155.jpg

1997CinderCone156.jpg

1997CinderCone158.jpg

1997CinderCone159.jpg

1997CinderCone160.jpg

1997CinderCone161.jpg

1997CinderCone165.jpg

1997CinderCone175.jpg

1997CinderCone176.jpg

Aaldert

Back