Headset refurb

Simplex

Retro Guru
I've got a 7400 headset that's a bit notchy. I've got access to a lathe , can the dents be polished out with emery cloth or something ? The races are probably hardened but the dents are surely only a few thou deep. Google doesn't have much to say on the subject :(

I would try the usual bodges first; change the number of balls so that they don't line up with the dents. So if the balls are in a cage at the moment, fit loose ball bearings without a cage, and vice versa.

The second thing to try is to remove one of the cups and refit so the dents don't line up.

Rats ! I forgot the crown race has some sort of plating ( it was 20 odd years ago when I put it in ). Good idea fiks , thanks.

HS_7400_Crown_Race_JG.jpg

HS_7400_Bottom_Cup_JG.jpg

[/img]

Same bottom cup after a couple of minutes in the lathe with a bit of emery cloth wrapped around the blunt end of a drill bit. It feels noticeably smoother but whether it will last another 20 years is doubtful !

HP_7400_JG_Lathe.jpg

I was going to suggest the race cage change thang as well.........maybe ceramic balls* would do something as well.......at least that's the beauty of old stylee stuff- check and re grease every six months, new balls, and I reckon yer headset will last, if not 20 years, then at least as long as a new one!

I had an uncle tried these- also had a wooden leg, glass eye, and tin chest............very accident prone he was!

Back