Help choosing a phone, E72, E97, Storm2 or iPhone

Easy_Rider

Retrobike Rider
OWMTBC Champ
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I've lost touch on new phones so need a little help choosing a phone for the missus.

She wanted the iPhone, but we think the cost and the extra in monthly payments isn't worth it (or is it?).

Plan wise, don't need much in the way of calls/txt but as much data as possible.

She mainly wants the new phone for internet / organiser/ gps / music

So she has narrowed down to

Nokia E72
Nokia E97
Blackberry Storm2

Anyone have experience with these phones and how does it compare to the iPhone functionally wise.

Cheers

Not my bag but Wife Panda is getting rid of her Storm in preference for a Curve. Qwerty keypad was the selling point for her & doen't like touch screen.

This post isn't going to help you much I'm afraid but I'm always intrigued by the way the iphone is always regarded as the absolute summit in phones. Almost like there's an iphone and then there's mobile phones, like there is god and then there's humans. Same thing with the ipod, ads for accessories always say things like "suited for ipod or mp4 player". The ipod IS an mp4 player.

I know what you mean when you say you lost touch with new phones though. I replaced my old phone with a nice new one with touch screen and the whole shebang and I broke it (while attempting a bike trick, smashed the screen into my handlebars with my thigh while it was in my pocket) so I'm stuck with my old one which is kind of broken too, which was the reason I replaced it in the first place. I'm now at a point where I'll just buy a cheap one thet works, I don't even use all the functions on my shitty current phone so why would I want more.

Hmm to go somewhat back on topic, a mate of mine just got a Nokia N900 and he's well chuffed with it. Might be worth looking into.

I got myself a Samsung Omnia2 (well the wife paid for it as my xmas present) at xmas and it's pretty good. Does everything that the iphone does and more if you count free tethering and a far better camera, yet on a contract the cost is £25 a month (200 mins, 200 texts and unlimited web) for 18 months. Yes it does run Windows mobile but the Samsung interface covers up so much of Windows you hardly know it's there. Also battery life with Bluetooth on, a 30 minute emails sync schedule and moderate usage is about 3 days.
ALternatively the Wife has a Nokia 5800 which also seems like a good phone, it's her first smart phone and touchscreen and it took her no time at all to get used to it.

Carl.

I use an E71 had it since June now and no complaints here, has route tracker to cover your riding, sat nav, full qwerty keyboard, net browsing, Email, very competent phone imo, so if the E72 is the newer version i'd recommend it :cool:

The E72 has massive battery life and will be free of charge on a contract. It does proper sat nav, will load all web pages, can take a 32GB memory card and sounds good as an MP3 player. Doesn't have a silly 2.5mm jack anymore.

You can wangle almost every bit of software for free and with the 600mhz ARM processor is quite a bit quicker than the E71 it replaces (which in itself is a wicked do all phone)

Features a proper keyboard and you don't have to pay for every piddly bit of software that sends an immstext or iopens the ikeylock type rubbish.

FSR-Si":27ks7lxq said:
I use an E71 had it since June now and no complaints here, has route tracker to cover your riding, sat nav, full qwerty keyboard, net browsing, Email, very competent phone imo, so if the E72 is the newer version i'd recommend it :cool:

Had an e71 for 18 months or so. Top phone and pretty tough too, mine gets used and abused. So I'd go e72 :cool:

im not a great fan of i phones, like pigeon says, they arent in a world of their of their own, they are still phones! yes they have a lot of great features, when are you actually ever going to use them??!!! the e71 is a very good phone. i love nokia they are superb and easy to use. i hate blackberrys because they are over complicated. phones have gone too far really, a phone is trying to be everything which is good but not always useful....

Thanks for all your help chaps. Think she's settled for the E72 but just need a demo of the calendar which I can't find anywhere. Don't get to see real phones anymore in the shops :roll:

Am I imagining this, but are there sites where you can "virtually" demo the phone online to test out the menus-functions etc??

Think she decided the extra cost of an iPhone was not worth it, but not getting to demo the phones first is a pain, especially if your going to be stuck with it for 18-24 months and she's been using Sony-Ericsson for years.

I had a 7610 6 years ago and i'm surprised to learn that the E72 is based on the same architecture, S60, recognised the menus and software straight away!

Easy_Rider":1r4pzb2p said:
I had a 7610 6 years ago and i'm surprised to learn that the E72 is based on the same architecture, S60, recognised the menus and software straight away!

its a proven firmware which works great :) most of their softwares are easily updateable and very user friendly i find

Back