80's peugeot (dumb questions)

spudgun

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all, picked up an early 80's peugeot in very good order.Even the chrome is in good condition,

P1010003.jpg

Have got some replacement wheels which were a bit wider than the originals but fitted ok.I would like to replace the cranks but I'm not familiar with this bottom bracket setup.Can I replace these with someting more modern and lighter? If so what would I need ?Also if I put an 8 speed cassette on the back will the original shifter /mech work ok. It was 5 speed
P1010004.jpg

you have cottered cranks. you have to replace the bottom bracket to a never one with a square taper (or other system) to change the cranks.

you need a specific threading.
i guess you need a french threaded bottom bracket (rare, but just reintroduced by ben's cycles)
that's just a guess based on the peugeot being french. someone else will know for shure.

I've decided to leave the chainset as is.It cleaned up like new and works perfectly.I kinda like the look of it as well. I've fitted the new wheels with an 8 speed rear cassette and apart from only being able to select 7 of the 8 ratios all's well.Went for a leisurely 10 miler yesterday and was smooth as butter.No rattles bangs or squeaks anywhere. Strangely I'm becoming rather fond of it :oops: :LOL:

Don't want to be patronising but you have tried adjusting the limit screws on the rear mech to cover the 8 gears haven't you?

Tel":3kaeomq1 said:
Don't want to be patronising but you have tried adjusting the limit screws on the rear mech to cover the 8 gears haven't you?
To be honest Tel,I've been meaning to but never got round to it,will have a go tomorrow :)

Back