Womens spercific saddles???

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I find my brooks saddle not the most comfortable as a woman and am thinking of investing some cash on a womens specific saddle but don't know what to go for. Are there any persons on here that have tried them or have girl partners who use one who can give me some advice on what they think to be the best.

Thanks Alison

My girl (33 year old lass) has hips and curves but finds the Selle Italia SLR XC Gel Flow the most comfortable saddle ever to sit on and has no problems doing all day rides or marathon races on it. She also finds the narrower width compared to womens saddles much better in more technical descents as you can get your bum over the back of the saddle without doing some sort of gumby leg movement to get your thighs round.

She also suggests investing in really good nicks as these can also make the difference between an enjoyable ride and in her words sore girly bits.

I hope that helps. :)

My GF uses a vetta gel, fairly wide, though I don't know if its women's specific. Ye could start with having a look at Terry saddles- they were they first women's saddles that I remember seeing; and check Specialized ladies equipment as well- I know Wiggle have a Women's section on their webshop- CRC may have too.

I'd have a trawl too of Google, see if you can find reviews- What Mountain Bike and MBUK have ladies sections in their mags, and see if ye can find info on women's equipment on MTBR.com.

I'd second Andrew as to good pants/shorts- my GF has loads of links for running gear, I'll get them off her later.
Another thing to try may be Triathlon sites/suppliers, since it's a very tech. sport with high female participation.

Cheers for now,
Dav

Lysander":3uql08ou said:
Another thing to try may be Triathlon sites/suppliers, since it's a very tech. sport with high female participation.

Tri stuff will be no good, the girly knicks are designed with not much padding as they have to swim and run in them, and the saddles are designed so that you sit more on the nose.

If you can find a shop which will let you trial a few saddles. This is what we did before deciding on the saddle mentioned above (the shop is question wanted to be seen to be help female customers). After doing a bit of testing and measurement Miss Jane found that a lot of the women's specifc saddles where exactly the same as the mens where you actually sit and are only shorter in the nose some cost more than the comparative mens version and others where particularly uncomfortable and didn't seem to have anyones body or comfort in mind when they were designed.

So if you can find a shop which will look after you and let you try a few saddles and pick the one which suits you best. You may find that you'll have to spend a few dollars more to get the comfort you want but in the end its worth it.

Terrys used to be a popular seller, not sure if they're still made. Worth posting or searching on STW ;)

It's one of those tres expensive trial and error things isn't it.

Mrs Wu uses a WTB Speed V (not Speed She) after trying out various Spesh BG Women's ones and FLites etc. But it is quite short.

Hope this helps a bit.

Latest posts

Back