Searching infos on my handlebar

karlomanx

Dirt Disciple
I'm absolutely not a BMXer but I've just bought those handlebars for a project.

4158207447_7407f5325d_o.jpg

I was looking for expert size handlebars but when I saw those (and as they were new and only 5 euros !) I thought they maybe could do the business with their unusual but cool shape and despite being bigger than the others.
If possible I'd like to know what brand they are (there's no sticker or anything else) so if anyone has the knowledge thanx for instructing me.

Hi
They're going on a 1994 Specialized Rockhopper (click on my signature and browse my gallery) along with an old school Kalloy BMX stem.
The plan is to make a bike dedicated to my photographic errands so with a relaxed sitting position and a bag attached to the cross bar for better accessibility to the camera.

the type of bars are called "knee savers" - lot of different companies came out with them - from odyssey to chiwanesse (cheapy foreign makes)

most used in freestyle and big in the 90's for being copied

you can spin the bars with out hitting your knees, especially for the rider that was getting older and bigger but still doing bmx

but if you like the bars and feel comfortable with them - then go with them

cheers B ;)

deffo Kneesavers as posted. If you look at the ends of the bottom bar and their are two chevrons...like below, they are Haro.

HARO.jpg

Ok thanks very much guys ! Never heard of those "kneesaver" bars before.

The other thing is that there is two clamping possibilities as the picture shows. So do you know what's the use in each case ?

They would have always been clamped on the bottom tube. Not sure what the knurling on the cross brace was for but I do recall a lot of 4 piece bars having it. Maybe it was just decoration. In the picture it looks like the diameter of the cross brace on your bars is actually too wide to clamp in a BMX stem.

I always loved kneesavers...my fav bar.. :D

I always thought the top piece of "knurling" was because your brake cables (these type of bars particularly prevalant on free style bikes which would run a detanlger system so you could spin the bars round and round) would be rubbing on the bar there so likely if it was normal chrome it would wear over time....At least that is what I thought, I suspect there is a far more logical reason though :D :D

The knurling on the top of the bars is for standing on and not slippping of when doing trixs ;) - smooth chrome and you might loose your footing - so some thing to grip is better

when desighing them they used the same clamping machine for knurling on the clamp part to do the top of the bars

cheers B ;)

Back