People and their newspapers

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Unfortunately I spend about three hours a day on trains and normally I have my regular gang with my regular seat and a good bond with fellow commuters (even have an xmas party every December - for an hour an a half).

But today everything was mixed up by the short formation of the train and we were all seperated.

And it led me to wonder why it is that people are against others reading the headlines on their newspapers?

The bloody thing is right in front of me and pretty much all I can see considering how much window it's also obscuring. But still they still contort and decrease it in size to the extent that it has to be pretty hard to actually read by that stage. And all to be mean spiritied and stop other people getting a freebie when they paid...er...nothing for it in the first place.

Bizarre.

I take opportunities like this morning to make such people do the dance of the newspaper monkey and see how far they will go before they break.

I'm that bored.

:roll:

i spend hours on trains too, about 8 hours a day :shock: . not because i commute though, i drive the things :cool: .

we tend to rifle through whatever newspapers the commuters have left on the tables/seats, unfortunately with the advent of the 'metro', there are very few decent reads. I also commuted for 9 years (before i had the 'if you can't beat them, join them' brainwave) and i have seen it all; commuter rage, fisticuffs, drugs, sex, father christmas, dead bodies (not all in the same incident i should add) and from my experiences as a commuter i now keep the door to my cab firmly locked with my bag against the door.

i have noticed newspaper rage though, i used to see how many people i could get to ruffle their papers (5 points) and tut (10 points) when i was on my way to work.

but if you buy a decent paper, donate it to your driver if you've done with it. it'll make our day. (no, we don't get out much!) :LOL:

mojo":2mrkxe17 said:
but if you buy a decent paper, donate it to your driver if you've done with it. it'll make our day. (no, we don't get out much!) :LOL:

LOL - I always try and say thank you to my driver (as I get out of the first carriage at London Bridge and am therefore am usually getting out of the train as the driver emerges) - I think you'd say thanks to a taxi driver for driving you (ahem) safely somewhere (as unlikely as that is) so why not a train driver.

I tried to get others to but they were predictably weak minded and were too embarrassed or cynical and uptight.

I'll pass on the word.

:)

When i did go by tube (now by Trimble :D ) I always loved it when it was really packed too see if i could crush the reader who insisted on having the paper open wide with both arms :shock: The look on their face it was a picture. But what could they do :?: nothing as you couldn't even move.
Oh the joy of the tube :LOL:

Wu-Tangled":3ro85kd9 said:
..I always try and say thank you to my driver (as I get out of the first carriage at London Bridge and am therefore am usually getting out of the train as the driver emerges) - I think you'd say thanks to a taxi driver for driving you (ahem) safely somewhere (as unlikely as that is) so why not a train driver.

I tried to get others to but they were predictably weak minded and were too embarrassed or cynical and uptight.

I'll pass on the word.

:)

Fantastic, always good to show appreciation,.. Am of the same school of thought Wu.. "Please", "Thank you", "Rock n roll".. Them words cost nuthin'..

As for the Newspaper thing, that's the result of a Capitalist Society: "I used the money I earnt to pay for this paper, it's mine" is the thinking there.. :roll: Same same here in Sydney.. Not a Self-Sacrificing Soul to be found on the 7.25am JetCat.. It's a shame, never used to be like that :?

Back