British lingo

You say tomato,

I say tomatoe...

Surey YOU say:

eh eh calm down calm down, bloody AC Milan (unless you're a toffee), spent all me Giro on that trip to that there Athens, now I can't afford the leccy bill ;)

The one that always got me when I lived stateside was the word pissed. People were pissed with people at work, pissed with the lady in the apartment downstairs, pissed the man from the IRS.

For our american cousins in the UK pissed means ripped to the tits on loopy juice - I hope that's clear now!

A great site to visit if you want the full round up on English and our swear words is Rogers Profanisaurus:

http://www.viz.co.uk/profanisaurus/profan_front_index.php

And the other one was calling a full stop a period. That's just wrong, you can get things from the chemist for that, sorry drugstore ;)

I've noticed that our American friends use the word 'Bunch' a lot. Bunch of friends - not a group friends for example. I was told grapes, flowers and bananas are in bunches. :roll:

ameybrook":208nb208 said:
I always liked, "what a nice bike, that."

You need to get yourself down to the south west of England:
The only place on the Planet where tha phrase 'where that be to' is considered proper English! In fact the local tourist info board had a poster up with 'Where's that to in Somerset' in their Taunton office! :LOL:

Girt - Big or great. As in '...then bill jumped this girt ditch...'
Yer tiz - Here it is.

Everyone speaks like 50's Hollywood Pirates once you get south of Exeter! :LOL:

tintin40":1pbxc851 said:
I've noticed that our American friends use the word 'Bunch' a lot. Bunch of friends - not a group friends for example. I was told grapes, flowers and bananas are in bunches. :roll:

Bunch or Bunches, yes. Carrots are sold in bunches. Such as what can fit in a handfull, like "a handfull of your close friends".

I get a kick out of pinch, or nick. Here is kipe, or ripped off.

So I have not figured out how you guys term bog (bogart). That would be like hogging or hoarding.

Back