What to do with this Kirk frame?

nfrang":gy68pwj7 said:
My lbs didn't think it would be too difficult to get a braze-on front mech to fit.
I've no idea but surely it would be possible to make some sort of hanger if necessary?

Hmm, this is going to be a rubbish description.... the two holes near where the mech goes are too high or too low for a braze-on mech to bolt straight on. There was originally a little magnesium piece that bolted on, and had an alloy 'nut' that the braze-on front mech bolted to. This allowed some vertical adjustment.

There's some pics on this website, and I think the guy who runs it has spares for the front mech hanger...

http://www.kirk-bicycles.co.uk/Kirk.htm

If it is the same hanger as the mtb version then making a hanger would be quite easy.

Think the road bike uses a bottom pull derailleur, which is easier to find than the top pull of the Revolution.

Student Bob":5tvsjg8m said:
Loving the white - it's certainly one of the better looking examples I've seen... personally, I've always wanted a polished Kirk - how sweet would that look!?

Polished magnesium isn't a great idea. It's highly reactive and will corrode into white powder at the slightest hint of moisture and especially salt.

unbelievable that he painted over the original white paint, which looked pretty clean. why?

for me, the original paint captures the original flavor of a classic bike.

The chap didn't paint over the original white, it was used by The Air Marshall team, there's a pic of it on my Kirk website http://www.haydn-automation.co.uk/Kirk-Brochures.htm and the frames came in a number of different colours. White just happened to be the most common one in the UK.

It does look great in white, especially when built with modern components and as someone else mentioned earlier, you attract attention every where you go!

The reason the frame has an unconventional downtube is because CAD studies showed that torsional twist within the frame follows that line. More development history is on my site. Simon.

simonhaydn":2107kmz7 said:
The chap didn't paint over the original white.

it's painted red in the ebay auction, also he mentioned in the first post that he thinks it needs a spray over.

A spray over doesn't mean it was originally a different colour, just that it needs sprucing up a bit. It's original colour was red, have a look at the pics on my website. Some bikes were specially sprayed for promotional reasons, like the fluorescent pink Kirk Precision I own.

klasse":1igb9adj said:
simonhaydn":1igb9adj said:
The chap didn't paint over the original white.

it's painted red in the ebay auction, also he mentioned in the first post that he thinks it needs a spray over.

The Ebay frame is not the OP's frame it just coincidentally came up at the time of his post and was linked to for reference....if thats what you're implying

Back