Chaser's Saracen Project

chaser":1wbdal83 said:
Thanks Sinnett,

Yes, you are right, I think black or ceramics will look great, very moody as you say.

Do you think it will be ok to use purple nips wit black/ceramic rims and hope anno blue hubs? not too much?

Cheers,

Chaser.
Hi Ian,

I reckon it would look fine, but members of the fashion police might say different. With the bling of the frames paintwork it should pull it off.

Cheers Mark

That's a beautifully made frame you've bagged yourself there mate. Can't complain for the price I'd happily pay four times as much for a frame like that. Can't wait to see it all built up.

Thanks Sinnett and Me....'

Still can't decide which way to go with the anno blue hubs etc Sinnett :?

Updates coming soon....

Cheers,

Chaser.

Nice looking frame, have you decided what forks to go with yet?
I've got a very similar frame from the Bankrupt eBay shop but without the lovely original purple powdercoat.
I'm running it fully rigid for touring.

I could be wrong but on the recent NWA Llandegla ride, I pretty sure that purpleprincess was riding an original 96/97 Protrax.

Also, any chance you could scan your 1996 catalogue for all the Saracen fans to look at?

Cheers

Hi Drystonepaul, good to hear from you, it was me that met you with sidewinder on the m6 when he bought my Dynatech frame.

Thinking of using 420mm Pace RC31 Ti's

I have some NOS Judy XC [cream with red decals] but I think they would clash with the purple frame.

I will scan the 96 Saracen catalog asap.

I guess I was quite lucky to get a painted frame from ebay BankruptSurplus eh? Most seem to be matt black.

Cheers,

Chaser.

chaser":24daaad0 said:
Hi Drystonepaul, good to hear from you, it was me that met you with sidewinder on the m6 when he bought my Dynatech frame.

Thinking of using 420mm Pace RC31 Ti's

I have some NOS Judy XC [cream with red decals] but I think they would clash with the purple frame.

I will scan the 96 Saracen catalog asap.

I guess I was quite lucky to get a painted frame from ebay BankruptSurplus eh? Most seem to be matt black.

Cheers,

Chaser.

Yes I remember it well; three dodgy blokes exchanging old bike bits in the car park at Lymm services... :LOL:

The RC31's will look good and keep in line with the 'Made in England' Saracen strap line. 420mm would also make sense with the frame angles.

As for the Rock Shox:
I'm not sure who the two bikes below belong to but the pictures came from this site. The Judy's look pretty good IMO. But you could go for it and get hold of some tatty lowers, spray them to match the frame and build them up with the parts from the NOS set. Very purple.

How are you getting on with the decals? I might ask gil-m to sort out a couple of sets for my Bankrupt frames.

Attachments

• 1997-Protrax.jpg
    1997-Protrax.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 912
  • 1997-saracen protrax.jpg
    1997-saracen protrax.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 912
This may be a daft question but how do you know its a Saracen? That eBay shop dosent seem to mention it?

EDIT: It is a lovely frame though. Amazing quality and for that money its a steal!

mikesnowdon":2w8lb1uu said:
This may be a daft question but how do you know its a Saracen? That eBay shop dosent seem to mention it?

EDIT: It is a lovely frame though. Amazing quality and for that money its a steal!

It is because of certain 'trademark' details in the frame build...

Shape and position of cable guides
Shape of chainstays
Type of dropouts and method by which they are attached to the stays
Frame number
Ability to match exact look and colour of frame with an pic/catalog from that period.

Are we convinced that it's a Saracen yet?
:D

Thanks for your reply Drystonepaul,

Sidewinder is selling the Dyna already :?

Thanks for comments about forks etc..

I thought of getting some 'purple' decals for the Judy's... this might be an easier option.

I do fancy trying the Pace though... it would make for a super lighjt build.

Cheers,

Chaser.

chaser":2pgng4hy said:
mikesnowdon":2pgng4hy said:

It is because of certain 'trademark' details in the frame build...

Shape and position of cable guides
Shape of chainstays
Type of dropouts and method by which they are attached to the stays
Frame number
Ability to match exact look and colour of frame with an pic/catalog from that period.

Are we convinced that it's a Saracen yet?
:D

I didn't doubt your correctness, just wondered how you could tell. Its an amazing deal for such a quality frame! I had a look at the eBay shop and they have quite a few nice frames at unbelievable prices. Lots of cheap wheels too which is nice as I need some new ones for my commuter.

Looking forward to seeing this build progress. Blue anno would look best against a purple frame by the way ;)

:)

Back