Damaged bike, is the frame still ok to use?

chaserjr20

Retro Newbie
Hi Guys,

Can I have your advice please?

I bought a late 70's Galaxy to use as a commuter bike with the intention to take it off the road during the cold dark months and do it up. Unfortunately someone pulled out in front of me on Wednesday and the forks are now bent.

1ykgkm.jpg

1ykgkl.jpg

My question is, do you think the frame would still be safe to use (assuming I bought some replacement forks)? I can't see any paint damage / bulges on the top tube or the down tube but I don't know if the lugs (i presume that's what they are called) may hide potential damage. What do you think?

Thanks,

John

See, this is why retro is best!! If those had been a set of fancy pants carbon fibre forks they, and probably your teeth, would just be expensive dust now!!

As fer yer frame.... I'd still use it. The impact loads would be focused on the strongest parts of the frame, around the lugs, and the top and bottom headset races and also it looks like a lot of the force was absorbed by the fork legs!

If the frame looks straight when you sight down the frame from the head tube, and there's no cracks or rippling in the paint around the lugs then I say ride on....

Get a bikeshop to have a look at it. Presumably the car driver is buying you a whole new bike, and you're slowly recovering from the whiplash and the post-crash stress?

Get well soon.

531 Touring used to crumple at the end of the butting on the downtube - it should be just below the gear bosses. Check there - if OK you should be OK.

Thanks for the input guys. I've had another close look and I think it should be ok. The only strange thing seems to be a dent on the underside of the lug joining the head tube and top tube (by the corner). I presume this is probably a result of something else?

1ylokk.jpg

When the accident happened I got the guy to give me the cash to replace the bike so i will probably buy another bike anyway. That will mean that I can strip this one down to the metal for respray and hopefully if there is any damage will be evident.

Sent you a PM, I have a 531 Claud Butler Soverign frame and fork that may be of interest.

Back