94 Klein Quantum Pro Coral Reef Completed!!! Pg5

dancingjack":2vuuet9x said:
So how did the bike stand go along for u?
I have a pair of KCNC CB1 brakes on my Kuota and I thought it might be a good choice ot try the Zero Gravity. But I guess it's not so good of an idea now that I know it needs quite a bit of TLC. :roll:
I have been going on Continental Sprinters and they have served me well till date. Maybe you can try them out!!!

Ill give those a try, unless ive already flatted one (probably not, i flattened a tufo a verdestein and a vittoria? i think)

i bummed out and went with ultegra brakes cause they were half the price, figured out i was using the wrong seatpost clamp (and i think i pinched in the frame... its very hard to mvoe a seatpost) and yeah.

got any recomendations for a computer? im looking at the astrale dual wireless right now.

I havnt got to try the stand yet, im waiting for a bike first :LOL:

glad to hear that im still in alright pricerange. haa, i was beginning to doubt it!!

lol if anyone wants some seatpost clamps i have two 34.9 diamiter ones that they can have! carbon fiber and a woodman without the bolt.

i stuck the ti seatpost on my attitude for now, and it looks much better than the thudbuster it came with lol, hideous things those

also what pedals are you going to run?

also i was drooling over the kcncs but couldnt quite swing the pricerange, and i want some set and forget brakes :) your kuota sounds like a real beast of a bike as well!

bwhsh8r":s9u0rlfs said:
I havnt got to try the stand yet, im waiting for a bike first :LOL:

glad to hear that im still in alright pricerange. haa, i was beginning to doubt it!!

lol if anyone wants some seatpost clamps i have two 34.9 diamiter ones that they can have! carbon fiber and a woodman without the bolt.

i stuck the ti seatpost on my attitude for now, and it looks much better than the thudbuster it came with lol, hideous things those

also what pedals are you going to run?

also i was drooling over the kcncs but couldnt quite swing the pricerange, and i want some set and forget brakes :) your kuota sounds like a real beast of a bike as well!

Unfortunately, my Coral Reef has integrated seat clamp. Maybe u can post a picture up and I'll see if it'll be able to fit my Kuota or Mantra?

I think Ti parts as well as parts are just timeless. I always wanted a Ti bike and build it all up with silver shiny parts. Unfortunately, my fetish for Klein bikes leave me no room for another bike.

As for computers, I used to be on Cateye Astrale 8 which was pretty useful for training. Then I moved on to Polar for the longest time but I've since taken all those gimmicks off to concentrate on riding and enjoying the bike.

I got my Kuota frameset only this April. Transfered all my parts over from my previous bike which was sent for warranty claimage. Used to be a real Weight Weenie but have since given up cause I prefer quality,lasting parts. Too many warranty claimages, broken parts and etc. I will post a picture of that bike when more parts for the Coral Reef comes in. :D

I doubt ittl fit, but if you can find some use then ill send em for shipping alone.

i think i wound up with 25 $ usd of useless seatpost clamps. and one $40 one that will work, this hope was the only one in that size i could find.

& it means alot that you like my build. its sooo close, just waiting on titanium crankarm bolts, and my seatclamp then ittl be rideable. my headset bearing came in today.

im so scared, i handed my baby over to the trek store mechanic today after getting the headset bearings shipped in finally, so hes looking at it all funny and asks some scary questions:

1. Q: Where is the headset
A: well the bottom bearing is on the tube, not pressed on, and the upper one you guys just got in for me.

2. Q:Oh, so what do you want done to it then?
A: I want the headset installed, you have to press in the fork to do that

3. Q: (not really a question) Looking at the tools all confused picking through them like uhhhh, i say like 5 times the instructions are at the bottom, he finally goes "oh"

then he laid it on its side right on top of a partially laced wheel, which cannot be good for the paint

i almost flipped out but the manager was watching us.

:'( i hope she doesnt come home more knocked up than a whore after prom.

Please go back to the store this instant, toss a rock through the window and save the Klein. I would really hate to see that bike damaged in any way.

What's wrong with bike mechanics. I'm not an expert by any means, just an enthousiast trying to do all the maintainance myself. But sometimes when I speak to a mechanic in a store I notice he, the professional, knows less of certain very common bicycle parts than I do. People who suck at their jobs can really aggrevate me at times, especially when stuff I care about (yeah in a way I care about your bike, take it as a compliment ;) ) gets ruined in the process.

PIGEON":zkavnzlz said:
Please go back to the store this instant, toss a rock through the window and save the Klein. I would really hate to see that bike damaged in any way.

What's wrong with bike mechanics. I'm not an expert by any means, just an enthousiast trying to do all the maintainance myself. But sometimes when I speak to a mechanic in a store I notice he, the professional, knows less of certain very common bicycle parts than I do. People who suck at their jobs can really aggrevate me at times, especially when stuff I care about (yeah in a way I care about your bike, take it as a compliment ;) ) gets ruined in the process.

and alot of the time i know alot better than them, especially when i had a crosslink front fork installed, they didnt space it right and it yanked out my headset and mussed it real bad. so i applied my own warrenty for another one ;) bastards charged me $40 for the installation too.

and If im asking questions about a product, and through conversation it switches to them getting information from me thats just baaad. i dont work at a bike shop, im not a genius, i just understand the products, and they should even better than me!

I didnt want to risk the headset myself as i dont have a proper work bench, and when i get frustrated i tend to think force is a good idea.

so i figure ill let them break it, and sue if i have to get it fixed

HAHA yeahhh, and get this, i must have been as high as him, because he calls me back like uhhm, we pressed in the fork everythings done, when are you getting the top headset bearing?

im like whaaaat, apparently i ordered it to a sister store, but they have a transfer tonight, so he will finish it tomorrow.

Thats why i think i am going to do most of the installation myself, except for the crap jobs (cables housing bar wrap :twisted: ) that and i might learn a thing or two along the way. I ought have a chain breaker bb tool and crankarm extractor handy anyways

& thanks for the care/support!! I need it! Im hoping everythings alright with it. if not oh well... argue my way into a nice new trek from a $80 klein. lol, but in all seriousness id break down and cry, the time spent on this bike makes it feel almost like a girlfriend or a kid...

1,500 after parts though... idk how anyone can afford to build up bikes from frames!!!

& honestly, id rather see my yellow quantum get run over by a car than see a knick get put in dancingjacks paintjob :D

p.s. nobody run over my kleins!!

and what do you think dancingjacks should i go with the fsa cranks i have or get some zipp 300 s?

Hey Max, your whole story there made me roll on the floor laughing! Sorry I was unable to reply earlier as I've been working hard and am going for a photoshoot in 3 hours' time.

Anyway, saw your post and realised you went ahead with the FSA crank. Good choice btw! I have a set of Zipp 300 crank on my Kuota and I've gone through way too many warranty claimages. First the spider warp, then the chain ring warp, then it went on and on. I'm now waiting for another replacement right chainset to arrive from US. To find a good BB for that crank is blood vommitting. Whom even bothers making ISIS BB in 108mm these days???

I used to work in a bike shop as a part-timer and have quit a long long time ago. But it did taught me a lot and I realised I can't live without bicycle tools because it's so addictive to fix your own bikes. I only trust a few mechanics over here in Singapore. I think I have had enough bad experiences to justify my statement.

I have received my crankset and brakeset as well. Turned out that it's a Negative Gravity instead of a Zero Gravity. Can't be any happier since I got it for a good deal.

P.S Could u take a photo of your seatclamps? I'm thinking of putting it onto my Klein Mantra. Thank you!!!

yes sir, ill also have an extra 31.6 maybe, generic black with a seatpost bolt, wound up getting a bontranger seatpost clamp from the trek store that did my bearings for $9.00 + a $35 hope seatclamp is in the mail... so ill probably put the bonti on the attitude the hope on the quantum and the other 3 clamps will be in the mail to you

if the shipping reasonable i wont even bother worrying about charging you that.... if you can stand to wait another week i have no problem doing it free if its not too much.

I have a carbon fiber 34.9 a woodman sl without ti bolt 34.9 and the 36.4mm one that came with the attitude that i can give you, that last one off the attitude im willing to guess is the one that would fit on the mantra im guessing... but i have absolutely no use for the others :)

got the quantum pro done 10 min ago had to use the stupid thud buster seatpost that came on the attitude race from 98 because the ti seatpost is wayyy too long, and there is a stop in the frame (no wonder it wouldnt budge....... durrrr)

& its all good, ive been busy too, i was worried about the fsa claims and the zipps were going to be a replacement, but thank GOD you posted that saved me a few $$$ :D that and the fsa complaints seem to be with the external bb cranksets anyways.

fsa megaquad platinum pro ti bottom bracket seems to be basically the same thing as the zipp (or very close to it in design...) and can be found cheep on ebay, thats what im running for my fsa, same quad bearing design. need m14 crankarm bolts though instead of m15....

think i spent $30 on it?

I cant wait to get out and ride mine..... very very light

my basement has way too many bikes in it now though :( maybe ill have to keep one in my bed.....

all in all okay day, got two beautiful girls phone #s at work and got invited to party at one of their houses... where 4 other girls live. car broke down and i owe $600 + and my bike got done.... so it all balances out to an alright day :)

hope yours was good btw! (& anyone who reads this? hey why not.... cool folk here on retrobike :cool: )

& honestly i found it quite comical myself... the end result was worth it all!! After all that concern i was starting to be okay with it and then they lost the headset bearing because the guy who took it from the one store to the other did, and then forgot to leave it so they had to track it down, took an extra two days, but thats still less than the since april that the last store gave the mountainbike bearings to be and said here you go, then said oops here do you want to order the road one, i said yes not even asking them to pay for their mistake and they still hadnt as of last week ordered it!!!!!!! trek store : 6 days installed with mistakes and all (but the frames okay.... thank you dork from the trek store for taking care of my baby.) they hooked me up on the price too so im very happy.

p.s. congrats with the negative G brakes!!!

mine is so light even with this stupid a** seatpost, ill bet yours is going to be a real helium baloon!!

Cool man! I do not mind the wait at all to be honest. I'll PM you my address is just a short while.

Sounds like you're having fun on your side man. So did you have fun with the chicks?

My Zipp 300 crank just arrived again from warranty claimage. Unfortunately, the spider is still warped and I am getting quite pissed at the moment. To top the whole problem up, it's very difficult to purchase ISIS BB in my country now. Based on what the shops' claim, the consumers are turning towards modern day parts and so all these external BB stuffs are considered out dated.

I have got a total of 2 road bikes, 2 mountain bikes and 2 road frames hanging around in my place. I'm hoping to get rid of the two road frames. One of which is a Klein Quantum Pro, now at the For Sale Section. I seriously can't bear to part with it but I feel it's a waste if I don't use it at all.

I will be getting it fixed up soon so I'll get it weight and posted up real soon! Just managed to chance upon a Syntace handle bar and got it fitted on. It really compliments the bike.

Meanwhile, just gotta wait for a few more days!

Back