Giant Cadex CFR-2

PIGEON

Retro Guru
Just thought I'd show you my Giant Cadex. My second roadbike ever, and I still commute with it on a nearly day to day basis (except the last couple of weeks because I needed the pedals for an other bike :oops: )

I found the bike on the interwebz looking like this (actually one of the pictures from the ad):
30973949.jpg

I rode it for a bit and I decided I needed new wheels with fewer spokes because I thought that was awesome at the time:
79348006.jpg

Despite all the horror stories on the internet about the WH-R550 (or in fact any Shimano wheelset) I have never had a problem with them.
Pretty soon after I got the wheels I found myself looking for a carbon fork. I really wanted the Giant aero forks that came with OCRs and TCRs if I'm not mistaken. After a couple of weeks looking at auction sites like a hawk, I found exactly what I needed:
46937115.jpg

Only problem: the colours didn't match my bike AT ALL. So I decided to take some sandpaper to it and sand it down to bare carbon, which turned out pretty good:
12923765.jpg

The alu part at the top of the forks, which had become visible as a result of the sanding was spray painted black with a fade to blend in with the cf fork legs, and then I gave it a couple of clear coats. I also had to swap the quill stem with an ahead one. At this point, the bike looked a bit like this:
37109233.jpg

I rode it for quite a while, until recently I acquired a nicer looking (but not more comfortable I'm afraid) saddle and a black seat post to match the stem:
54433488.jpg

So that concludes the sotory of my Cadex. It's a great bike and it really got me into roadbikes!

Don't tell me your first road bike was also a Nishiki disguised as a Concorde like mine :shock: lol do you still ride your Cadex?

@ dirtydaniel: thanks, I was quite pleased with the result myself :cool:

PIGEON":2vubdhcj said:
Don't tell me your first road bike was also a Nishiki disguised as a Concorde like mine :shock: lol do you still ride your Cadex?
Nope. But now you come to mention it I don't remember what it was...maybe the Cadex was my first...I'm confused, damn beer. It's long sold now though, another sale I regret :roll:

All I know for sure is that this puppy is my current ride - http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=70719

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Flippin Eck.....Flashback!!

The CFR-2 was my first "proper" road bike and was incredible i remember hitting 53mph going into Stockbridge in Hampshire years ago.

It was soooooo fast. Such Good Memories and i cant even remember why i got rid of it!!

Very nice, reminds me of my first road bike. It was a Giant CFR with aero forks as below. Sold it a while back but it was a nice bike and carried me plenty of miles. My brother'n'law still has a red and black Cadex very similar to yours.

IMGP3875.JPG

Back