93 KONA LAVA DOME (NOW SINGLE SPEED/FIXIE CONVERSION)

lewis1641":dfsb7jmq said:
Is far as i know they only did the faded 2 tone paint in 93. If Yours is an 89 it should have splatter paint i think. Best thing to do is pm anthony he knows everyTHING about konas!
Thanks Lewis 'will do. Good luck with the project.

i STILL havent had a propper ride on this yet.

the day after it was built it was lent to a friend and i have not had chance to pict it up. he reports that it rides well. forks didnt bottom out (he's a fatty liike me so thats a releif) and the gear combo seems to work although the front mech needs replacing.

i am going to liberate it this weekend and take it for a spanking somewhere.

when i say spanking i actually mean gentle bimble as my shoulder is STILL not right.

well i have now ridden it and it is lovely. front mech needs changing to a road one and/or the bottom bracket needs to be narrower as it threw the chain a few times but it rides really well.

here it is in its current and finished state

hx3v3s.jpg

i am now selling the old girl as i have too many bikes and i am riding my khs far more. torn between selling completely or just getting rid of the parts and going budget single speed.

change of direction again!

keeping the frame and getting rid of the more expensive bits and going bact to basics and single speeding/ fixing it.

just bought a pair of surly track ends

w849wk.jpg

and i have discussed the procedure with my dad, who is confident he can do the job.

i'm on the look out for a cheap 6 bolt disc rear wheel now so i can set it up as a singlespeed with a free wheel and a fixed sprocket on the disc mount.

i'll post up the conversion step by step as it gets done

wish me luck

fingers crossed! my dad has worked with steel for 40 years so he is confident in his abilities.

we are going to make a cut out on the kona drop out in the shape of the new one and weld new to fame. alignment issues should be sorted with a simple jig and a threaded bar, washers and locknuts between the drop outs.

i really hope it works because there is nothing wrong with the frame and if it doesnt it will be a waste!

looking on the internet the going rate for this job is £125. if you have money i dont think that is too bad really. these drop outs set me back just shy of 30 quid and that should be all the costs i need, apart from new paint but i might go a bit ghetto on that front for a while

Back