1980 Alan Fixed

PIGEON":2dme5von said:
Oh yeah I didn't realize it was a fixed gear, I thought it was a single speed with freewheel. In that case you get kudos for running a brake at all ;)

In the UK, with fixed and one brake, you must legally have a FRONT brake to ride on the road.

I know lots of city couriers etc. ride without any brakes at all but they're officially illegal.

You couldn't ride a road time trial on fixed without a front brake.

I must confess Alan are the Frame Builders I like the most in the world of road bikes and thus you fixie is trully beautiful :cool:

PIGEON":1915nqje said:
It's a good looking bike but although a single speed can do with only one brake, it has to be a rear one. Just a front brake is just dangerous. You're in luck though because the brake you're using up front is in fact a rear brake. The difference is the direction in which the brake pads slide out of the calipers, if you install the brakes the wrong way around you run the risk of the rims pushing the pads out of the calipers. So move the brake to the rear and if you also have a front brake lying around, sell it to me :D I'm looking for a front 600 ax brake so if you have it and want to sell it, hit me up ;)

I dont agree with this at all! i run a SS with a front brake and find it alot safer than just a rear. If you ever need to use your rear brake hard your not riding safely enough nor anticipating the road ahead properly!

Read the Sheldon Brown article (http://sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html#frontorrear) on braking and there is alot of advice into saying that if you are to run only one brake then it should be the front as you will half more control over brakeing in general. I used to run with just a rear and it felt very onsafe and switched to the front and have had no problems since.

Oh and that is a beautiful bike you have there! I want it :twisted:

Back