ProFlex 1996 856 Rebuild - ON HOLD !!!

WD Pro

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
First things first, I know I should finish my Marin build ( viewtopic.php?t=43798 ) before starting this but I couldn’t pass up on the opportunity to build and own a true off road bike, the Marin will be used on tarmac only and will be finished soon, I promise … :oops: :LOL:

I know nothing about ProFlex’s so expect a lot of questions :LOL: I will ask them in here so similar to my Marin build it will be a step by step build up rather than just pictures of a finished bike, please don’t expect this to be a quick build … :oops: but I promise it will be a high quality one :cool:

I stumbled across the frame and fork through talking to a friend, I have only seen it once but it has turned up at my house this afternoon so expect a few pictures tomorrow. What I can tell you is that its :

• Badged as a 856
• Is in a pale gold color
• Has some world cup something or other on the frame under the seat
• Has Girvin forks
• Has the gold ODS elastomer shocks (front and rear)
• Is bloody dirty but looks to be intact, and dent / corrosion free

I presumed at first the forks were vectors but having done a bit of digging today the pics I can find of vectors have an integral stem, the ones on the bike have a separate clamp on the steerer – are these cross links ? ;)

So the first of many questions :

• How much travel – Front and rear
• What a realistic target build weight ?
• Do they break / crack ?
• If so where – best check before I get to excited … :(

Cheers,

WD :D

No help on the proflex but registering my interest in this build, I love the marin thread!

If this gets half the attention the B.V. got, it's going to be :shock:

Look at the swingarm where it bolts to the main pivot bushes - these crack near the bolts on the underside. Other than that, they're pretty strong & reliable. ;)

Nice find!

The gold shocks can be upgraded with coil springs. RDI in Scotland has kits. The shocks are fully rebuildable with O rings although I have never done it myself.

You are right about the forks being Vectors. To the best of my memory, you will get some 2.5 inches travel front and rear. Maybe more on the rear.

As well as checking the swingarm mount on the frame, check the swingarm an the driveside, as I have seen some crack there.

Weight should come in at some 25 lbs, and with the right parts can come down to some 23 lbs.

Great bike, have fun.

Thanks for the comments / help :)

I have checked the places mentioned and all looks ok.

I will post some pics in the morning as I dont have net access at home (other than the phone) :(

I havnt got any pics of it striped yet (as it was going dark) but the only thing not in a thousand pieces is the two shock units, the headset cups / crown race and part of the mechanism that hangs off the bottom of the front shock. Everything else is removed, Just how many bushes and washers do these things have ?! :shock:

Will need some help soon off the experts as to what repair kits to buy of the guy in the states from eBay - might as well get them all at once :)

How much are coils for these ?

WD :)

Sounds good.

Girvin forks are ace to take to bits, you'll be tinkering for days... (weeks...!)

Cant wait to see it!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I cant get photobucket to move my images to the right directory :? so I dont have to fix all the links later here are just the first two :

Will post the others later.

WD :D

EDIT - See post below :D

Latest posts

Back