Old frame, new parts.

Anonymous":2wok9fam said:
I wouldnt adapt any frame that wasnt designed for it. That said FATs yo eddys should cope better than most due to the plain gauge stays. At the time of the 10th MBA test, FAT did advise a maxium weight penalty. After further testing FAT were happy to use the same tubeset for later Yos.

There are masses of rusted thru frames. 10ths are some of the few that still have some worth even when they're rusted through.. which is why you see on them on ebay... thats kinda like saying why dont you see rusted thru treks, konas, speskys (of which I bet there are thousands!) etc on ebay, coz not they're not 1 of 200 (182 actually) individually numbered anniversary frames that still have some worth ;)

The sealed tubes thing was a mistake many early frame builders made. I've personally seen more rust damaged yetis than 10th.

A big part of this, well for me! comes down to retro ethics! Anyone thinking of adding a disk mount to a 10th, needs to be shot. Which I guess is the real point of this thread! A standard yo eddy, yeh why not! But a 10th, get down, face mecca & start bowing :LOL:

so in summary, 10ths have wrongly got the flimsy rep ;)

Hello Guest,

I do not know who you are, but thnx for clearifying the 10th doesn't suck.

tangent":x8g3ayah said:
Was riding with somebody who had added a disc mount to their Yo, and it seemed to be very well sorted indeed - although though I've still got old style cantis on my bikes (on the back) because that's what I prefer.

Who had done the disk mount in the Yo? How did the rider find it?

Personally I appreciate a modern mix of components on classical steel frames just as much as a fully museum retro style as it suggests to me the owner is likely to be pretty serious about getting out and riding the thing rather than just polishing / and or ebaying it!

I can see both points of view, but personally I like riding them :D

Only 182 10ths? how come? have the other 12 already rusted away?

:LOL:

Melvin,

you know who the guest is ;)

Chris Chance :cool:

Anyway I still don't like the paint and the WeightWeenie image, so I don't want it. For nineties FATs I swear with Yo's & Wickeds.

disco fever

It was the riders own work (he's a proper bike mechanic / engineer kinda fella) , although he got someone to do the brazing.

It looked sweet, very clean indeed and minimal interefence to the lovely green paint, it was just a mount with no extra bracing tube, considered to be unecessary for the YO given the rear stay size etc. Naturally XTR was being run for the brake :) Obviously he could also brake a lot easier than me using V's on the 25/30 min descent :cool: we were going to embark in that pic

Elv, don't overlook Buckshavers , they're ace & usually cheaper :D , although I have always preferred wishbone seatstays (for looks) so I may a bit biased. That said I wouldn't say to a no to a 10th tho' with a bit of puprple, & some Campag / XTR / King bling on it. :cool:

Of course all 90s FATs are in fact great incl Buck, 10th ....not to mention the Ti :cool:

Back