Campy wheel in all Shimano bike

I'd say count your blessings pigeon. I wouldnt buy into Campag 8 speed as it's obsolete and hard to get hold of bits. Stick with the shimano hubs, where spares and interchangability in future years is easy.
and the shimano rear hub is far superior to the campag ones. The last good hubs (in my opinion of course) that campag made were for screwed freewheels. The shimano cassette ratchet is superior and the way campag have squeezed the hub flanges together make for a less strong wheel laterally. And I'm predominantly a campag man, so saying this doesnt come easy.

If you get the wheels, fit a Marchisio Cassette, but the wheels would have to be a stunning deal to make it worth it!

Well the seller hasn't contacted me again so I guess the guy bought the wheels. I was just thinking, if a Campagnolo 8-speed shifter will index a Shimano 7-speed cassette, it shouldn't matter whether you have a C-8 or S-7 rear mech should it?

PIGEON":2sos9ypu said:
I was just thinking, if a Campagnolo 8-speed shifter will index a Shimano 7-speed cassette, it shouldn't matter whether you have a C-8 or S-7 rear mech should it?
Yeah, it matters.

The geometry of the parallelogram determines how far the cage moves for a given cable pull. A Campag 8-speed shifter will only index a Shimano 7-speed cassette with a Campag derailleur of the right vintage (Campag have changed their derailleur geometry). With a Shimano mech it won't index correctly - it'll overshift.

one-eyed_jim":3v9s3dna said:
PIGEON":3v9s3dna said:
I was just thinking, if a Campagnolo 8-speed shifter will index a Shimano 7-speed cassette, it shouldn't matter whether you have a C-8 or S-7 rear mech should it?
Yeah, it matters.

The geometry of the parallelogram determines how far the cage moves for a given cable pull. A Campag 8-speed shifter will only index a Shimano 7-speed cassette with a Campag derailleur of the right vintage (Campag have changed their derailleur geometry). With a Shimano mech it won't index correctly - it'll overshift.

so........I am swopping my 6 speed uniglide and hub for a hyperglide with a 8 speed cassette, all Shimano, will these work with my Shimano long cage 600 rear mech and friction shifters, with a new chain of course.

Pete.

mojopete":1qts7k9v said:
so........I am swopping my 6 speed uniglide and hub for a hyperglide with a 8 speed cassette, all Shimano, will these work with my Shimano long cage 600 rear mech and friction shifters, with a new chain of course.
If you're friction shifting, the only concern is whether the mech has enough throw to reach the big sprocket before hitting its stop, and my bet is that it does. If it doesn't, you may be able to file down the stop slightly to increase the throw, but I doubt you'll need to.

Thanks Jim, I'm not much of an expert in these matters but I have just had a look at the rear mech and it has 2 threaded stops with plenty of ajustment left as they are set up at the moment, for the old 6 speed I presume.

Pete.

Back