Mid '80's Lennard Zinn MTB

sho220

Devout Dirtbag
This is a bike I found at a yard sale and bought for a whopping 5 dollars. It's also the bike that got me interested in vintage mountain bikes. It was bought in Virginia from the original owner, who previously lived in Colorado. After I brought it home I started researching it on the internet without much luck. After drawing a blank on internet searches and forum requests, I decided to contact the man himself. To make a long story short...this was made by Lennard sometime around 85/86 for a member of his Zinn/Alfalfa/Shimano women’s racing team. The only info I could find related to this can be seen here: http://www.mountainbiketales.com/articles/zinn.htm
While searching for a serial number, which was supposed to be on the steerer tube, I sent Lennard a pic and asked about the pink/red overspray, which was also visible on the drive side chain stay under the white paint. He said this was the team color back in the day and that this bike was most likely made for one of the team members to use in testing the waters of mountain biking/racing, and was eventually repainted.

On to the pics...

znn2-1.jpg

znn6.jpg

zz1.jpg

crwn1.jpg

zinn26.jpg

Steerer tube showing original color...

zinn23.jpg

zinn15.jpg

zinn6.jpg

zinn7.jpg

Whhooaaa :cool:

what a find, why can't there be 'yard sales' like that round where I live.

looks mint too, has it even been used since the respray ?

It's seen some use over the years but has been taken care of pretty well. I ride it every once in a while, but for the most part it's a wall hanger...not for fear of getting it dirty or chipping the paint...I just have too many other bikes. :p

Stunning detailing, particularly loving the fork crown.

Bargain of the year? Certainly got to be up there.

ededwards":3agus7gs said:
Stunning detailing, particularly loving the fork crown.

Bargain of the year? Certainly got to be up there.

Surprisingly, they don't go for much on ebay the couple times I've seen them.

This is a nice example...very cool :cool:

That is amazing!!

To think that was out at the same time as my old Mustang...!

Really stunning bike. How does it ride, or have you not had chance yet?

Back