Road/CycloX fixed singlespeed q's

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Bit of a mixed bag of questions. I've just got my hands on a set of 700c wheels with a flip flop hub and a set of frogslegs. My thoughts were to source a suitable frame, something with semi horizontal dropouts and steel. Weld on some canti studs for the frogslegs and have a road/cross fixed/singlespeed bike.

So can anyone see a problem with this? Will the dropouts and froglegs cause a headache? Am I right in thinking older frames will have plenty clearance..? Any other old road frame pitfalls to watch out for?

Cheers

Good idea; no problem. If you look you'll probably find a good touring frame from the 80's, could have the right dropouts & canti studs & plenty clearance. Some 'cross frames of the era even have semi horizontal drop-outs. Look forward to seeing it.

Cheers Cab it'll be a wee winter project methinks, will be looking out for a rough but nice steel, frame and refinish it. :D

Kaiser, I've got a very scruffy 1950's Raleigh Royale frame and fork, it'll be Reynolds 531 and is 22" size. I found it in a ditch a few months past.
OLN is 125mm long horizontal drops but it has 26tpi threads Raleigh thought it best, no one else did. One slight problem, slightly dented b/b shell but the use of a YST self threaded cartridge BB should sort that. No canti studs but plenty clearance for touring width tyres, 25.4mm seatpost.

Yours for free, its a nice frame just needs lots of TLC.

Velo

V I'll get back to ya, the ken has something promising and I've warmed to it already if it fits :D

Back