1994 P7 - cleaned up and made good!

D_XZ

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
1994 P7 picked up for £100 a couple of months ago. As far as I can tell it was all original full LX build except for a newer LX/517 rear wheel and possibly front mech. Orange SK8 stem. Not sure on the bars - they have a hot rod style finish but no logos and no sign of colour fade where logos may have been. Given the LX build I guess they aren't Hots.

Headset was ruined - bearings wrecked and surfaces scored badly. BB rough and seized in. Chain so rusted it could have been the original! A few teeth broken off the chainrings and cassette.

Renewed chain, BB, cassette and all cables. Changed chainset for Middleburn RS7 as I happened to have one lying around.
Replaced the headset with a Chris King - went to that expense as I wanted to be able to buy a spare crown race and have it stand up to fork switches between off road and commuting use once I get some hard elastomers for a mint set of manitou 3's I have.

Swapped cantis for LX Vbrakes, although I have to say I was surprised how good the stock cantis were. In the days before v-brakes I was riding kit that came on an Apollo and made it's way through a few second hand frames. Now I finally experienced decent quality canti's I found they aren't actually that bad. I'd already got the V's though so I stuck them on. Only had deore levers though so I'll look for some LX ones soon.

I stripped the frame & fork down and shook a load of cr*p out of the tubes. The chainstays and fork had particulaly annoying rattles and took some patience!
Poured loads of kurust through all the tubes and span it around to coat it all around, then did the same with some silver hammerite direct to rust twice. The frame didn't look too bad internally as far as I could see but it's still a 15 year old steel frame so I decided to give it what protection I could. Used a little silver hammerite and clear laquer on a couple of spots under the driveside chainstay where the nickel had chipped off.

Finally gave it a good polish and rebuilt. Currently doing well in work commute mode, hence the rack and slicks but I'll be trying it offroad at the NY Moors meet in a couple of weeks and possibly take it to Brazil later in the year. :cool:

Oh yeah, it's a 21" so excuse the lanky looks because it has a lanky owner!!

Attachments

• bike 003.jpg
    bike 003.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 946
Excellent bike. Truly magnificent... I could rhapsodise about these all day long. I ve XC'd/Enduro'd/Slalomed/Jumped and DH'd mine, they even make good wall hangers :D

(I am biased - oh mine are all 21" too...)

I may well yet!

My first (bought in 1997, 1996 frame) has travelled miles, and done it all. It still looks mint - do a search in readers rides!

Cant beat a nickle P7.

Back