My £750 carbon xc bike *Updated PIcs and Price*

skinheadjc

Retro Guru
A little while back i had the idea to build an XC trail/race bike that it would be as light and high spec as possible for as little money as possible, using ebay, bits i had lying around and trawling the online forums and shops for the best deals.

I then drew up a spec sheet, all of the items i wanted with no compromises. I worked out that with a little luck i could scrape together about £500 by selling odds and sods on ebay. Number 1 on the list was a carbon frame and i bought an old Alan semi carbon (3lbs dead on). However, after building this into a single speed i decided that i may want front sus eventually so i looked around for a 'modern' frame (sorry guys).

With a bit more trawling i won a JBC carbon (1300g) which was a bit of a bargain at £195 as it came with the seatpost and headset.

Its been a few months but i've just got the last bit being delivered tomorrow (the rear wheel).

The result is the spec sheet below:

frame. JBC Carbon: £195 (ebay)
fork. Carbon Cycles Excite 44.5cm: £70 (ebay)
headset. Woodman: £- (came whith frame)
stem. WTB TXC: £10 (stif)
Bar. Easton Monkey Lite CNT SL: £25 (private sale)
Grips. THE £8 (chain reaction Flood sale)
seatpost. Control Tech £- (came with frame)
Saddle. Fizix Gobi Wing Flex £- (already had)
bb. UN71 sq taper £6 (ebay)
Cranks. Middle Burn RS7's £12 (ebay)
Rings. Middle Burn 20,32,42T £36 (private sales, thanks wynne)
Cring Bolts Steel £- (thanks to Bike UK Bristol)
rear mech. XT Shaddow £22 (ebay)
Front Mech XT £25 (merlin Cycles)
Cables Goodridge Carbon £- (already in tool box)
Shifters XT rear / temporary Deore Front £35 (crc)
Brakes Xtr calipers, XT levers Goodridge Hoses £140 (ebay/crc)
Discs 160mm XT £30 (ebay)
Chain Sram PG90 £- (in tool Box)
Rear Cassette XTR £- (in tool box)
Wheels XT hubs on Mavic 717 Black rims £140 pair (merlin cycles)
Tyres Conti Speed King Semi Sonics £- (Spare set)
Tubes Unknown £-(tool box)

Total £746

The best bargains were the cranks, i bought them on ebay listed as Cranks with E13 bash, and recognised them as RS7's, i bought them with the bash and a chain ring for £26, sold the Bash for £14 so £12 RS7's BARGAIN!

Its looking like the best value for money bike i've ever bought!

still looking for a bargain pair of forks though (and the ££ to pay for them)
pictures002c.jpg

suprizingly, 23lbs as shown in the pic.
the goodridge hoses and heavy bb, rear tube (only had a dh one left when i built it up) and pedals dont help.

Nicely done.

How are you getting on with the forks? I have a pair on the front of my singlespeed (the 42.5cm ones) and think they are great. They seem to take just enough edge off the little bumps, but retain a great direct steering feel.

Definatly the best value carbon ridgids out there!
Interestingly slightly cheaper on there web site than on ebay (i recon that they factor in fees on ebay).
Personally i think that the ride quality is just as good as any of the other corbon ridgids out there.
by the way, have you noticed the uncanny resembolance to the White Brothers Rock Solid? which cost anouther £80 or so :shock: same taiwanese factory and design possibly? ;)

They wont be staying though - i have my eye on some Pace's......

Back