Creaky crank

underspray

Dirt Disciple
My creaky crank used to irritate the hell out of me so i guess its time to get it sorted. Any tips or do I need to replace the BB and crank?
Cheers

it is probably dirt between the crank and the axle. remove, clean and reasenble. i but cranks on dry but i think some people grease the taper

Are you sure its the crank?

The reason I ask is it may be loose chainring bolts.

Worth checking.

Sounds silly but make sure your saddle is attached to your post properly with the bolts greased.

I tried everything I could think of to stop the crank creaking on my Kona until I noticed that it stopped when I stood out of the seat....

lewis1641":443mrsfo said:
....some people grease the taper

I've seen that a few times and all it does is ruin the taper on the chainset as it allows it to go on the BB axle too far. The only BB axles I grease are the splined ones as they are usually meant to go on all the way.

The other things that can cause creaking are a loose BB cup, a rear qr not tight enough, a gear hanger that's loose, a loose cassette lockring and pedals that aren't tight enough. There's so many things it could be that it's just a matter of checking one thing at a time until you get it.

Xesh":1n8amytn said:
lewis1641":1n8amytn said:
....some people grease the taper

I've seen that a few times and all it does is ruin the taper on the chainset as it allows it to go on the BB axle too far. The only BB axles I grease are the splined ones as they are usually meant to go on all the way.

Yep - happened to me ... :(

Some great tips here, i'll do further research.

I have found that a rubber mallet applied liberally to the crank forces it further onto the BB and the creaking stops. Unfortunately this is only a temporary solution and the creak comes back within a day or two.

underspray":2obwyqip said:
I have found that a rubber mallet applied liberally to the crank forces it further onto the BB and the creaking stops. Unfortunately this is only a temporary solution and the creak comes back within a day or two.

If that's the case then you'd better check the square taper bit on the crank. If it's not perfectly square and has signs of burring around the edges then it may be time for a new crank.

Obviously you'll have to remove the cranks first! :LOL:

Back