That sad sinking feeling - IDEA: A retrobike police force?

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I like all of us quite regularly see great retrobikes being ridden by people that clearly aren't the original owner and probably aren't even the legal owner and I always feel a twinge of sorrow for both the 'proper' owner and the ride itself (poor thing - it's not having a nice life anymore) - that's abuse that is.

Saw a Klein Mantra and a Canondale M1000 3.0 outside London Bridge this morning alone. Both crying out to me to rescue them.

Well given that there is a decreasing amount of (sensible) law to enforce these days and even less of an effective force with which to do it (tied down with govt financial targets etc) - why don't we apply for special dispensation to create a Retrobike 'Guardian Angels' outfit. A bit like the Red Hand Gang, but with semi automatic weapons and a badge (and a mission - to free captive and abused old cycles from the clutches of the amoral.)

At the gym I go to there is an RC100 always there... it's not in bad nick but always looks at me as if to say, get these slicks off me and take me out in the wilderness pleeeeeeaaaase ...

If it was bigger i would have offered the owner some dosh for it but it's a woman who owns it and it's small...

I did go up and offer a guy dosh for an RC100 a couple of years back and to my surprise he rang me back a few weeks later, but it turned out to be way past it and the alu was all corroded all over the place and the square seat tube / collar area had a neat crack running round two thirds of it and I walked away. Bullseyes and maguras and everything.

poor poor bikes.

Re: That sad sinking feeling - IDEA: A retrobike police forc

Yup, loads like that around York.

usually dealers and chavs, and almost always riding marin bear valleys, nearly offered money for a 89 fire mountain in blue splatter once - but there were way too many scumbo's around so I chickened out :oops:

Derby's one of 3 beacon cities countrywide for their cycle lane network yet I hardly ever see any bikes around (except the Dave Yates I photographed a month or two back)... I don't get it.

We visited York last week and I was gobsmacked at how many bikes there were around!

orange71":18cf1o3l said:
We visited York last week and I was gobsmacked at how many bikes there were around!

York, the cyclists city as the council tend to boast ;) , thats why the CTC always have the annual meeting here

Back