SHIMANO VS CAMPAGNOLO

pigman":tp7p7mw3 said:
be interested to see how it stands up to a good british winter - water, salt, sludge etc over a lengthy period of time. Probably ok in californian climate lab conditions. Can you tell I'm a technophobe?

It's got so many raincoats on the wiring and such powerful motors in the mechs that I don't see it being a problem.

perry":3apn669n said:
campy1.jpg

I want this t-shirt

On drivetrain, I've experienced the best results when using a combination of SRAM and Shimano.

I'm not a roadie as such... my CX bike has only recently opened my eyes to tarmac.

That said, my CX bike is running some Shimano road gear (front and rear derailleurs) with no problems! My CX bike sees a lot of off-road, so I'd say it was pretty good stuff.

I have always had Campagnolo on my road bike. Would I again? I'm not sure. If I was buying new then I really think I would give Shimano a go. The new Dura Ace stuff looks pretty good to me. Campag's later carbon stuff looks a little dull.
Ergo levers aren't (ergonomic) in my mind and I have long fingers.
I cleaned my bike the other day and I was surprised how rusty the 9 speed Campag stuff had got. OK, it isn't top of the range stuff but Chorus isn't exactly bargain basement either.

The more I think about it the more I would give (the new) Shimano stuff a go.

I love the idea of Campy - just about to upgrade to Centaur throughout, but that is going on an Italian bike. For me, it works fine, but I do not push the limits when riding. I go click, it changes gear and I am happy. Chum of mine has just put an 11 speed groupo on an 80s Colnago!

I can't stand the uber-modern lines of the Shimano groupsets, like my kit a bit more retro (alloy only, no visible carbon), but saying that, I hired an Ultegra equipped bike in Majorca earlier in the year and that was noticeably crisper and immaculate in performance terms. But, with the way I ride, I am prepared to sacrifice the extra performance I don't need to let me have the name I want.

Shimano on my MTBs all the way though.

My suspicion is that Shimano stuff feels so much smoother as it's tighter toleranced and with lighter springs than Campag. However, that means that as it ages it all stops working, whereas Campag just goes on and on...and on.

My Chorus rear mech (1996) is as tight as ever while Shimano ones have gone baggy.

Don't get me wrong, Shimano is excellent stuff, it's just engineered for instant appeal and less for mega durability. But I have 1992 Shimano hubs which still have pristine bearings after 10's of thousands of miles, and my 1990 thumbies are as good as ever.

Back