Judy SL cleaning (resurrection stage: 1)

AtomicAtom

Retro Guru
It's time to resurrect this old Judy SL as it would look smashing on my Voodoo (that it originally came on). It's got some issues though. One of the brake arch bolts has been missing for a while (the head broke off) and had no idea what to do about it since they are pretty special. A friend of mine was digging around his wealth of parts from his days as a mechanic and found two brand new bolts! I figured with that kind of luck this fork needs to see some action again. I spent an evening restoring the exterior as well as I could. Here are some photos of the before and after.

Before and after.
3532096721_2c06192d30.jpg
3532914030_ae260b588d.jpg

3532913582_afa9771aa2.jpg
3532097203_fe6b6ff368.jpg

Now all I really need to do is find some aftermarket internals for this bad boy. Where should I look? I see things come up in the for sale forum here from time to time, but they always seem to go fast. I have seen a few places here in the States that I've minimally looked into.

http://www.hippiesuspension.com/hippietechsuspension

http://www.suspensionforkparts.com

The first one would be a total overhaul but cost me about $130usd and the second option is elastomers, and I'm not sure I want that.

Here are a few more shots of the fork.

3532097419_d2da5b92fe.jpg
3532097585_42f7891f1c.jpg

By the way I have tried scrubbing these forks down with soap and water before with relatively bad results. This time I used Maas metal polish to clean them. I tested an area that wouldnt be seen first to make sure no paint would be removed and lo and behold it took off the stubborn grime I thought was part of the paint forever. My one caution is that it did seem to remove a very very slight amount of paint, so be sparring with the polish if you try this method.

Tim flooks at TfTuned.com still has a few dampers for Judy forks... though i think he only has 80mm carts with the 6mm bolt fitting so some modding would be needed for them to fit your forks!

and for springs checkout mr_wings on ebay.

you can find springs to replace your elastomers on ebay, and if your cartridge is made of aluminum it is pretty easy to rebuild it if needed.

I just checked and MR_Wings is who I recieved my springs from.

These lovely forks have recently sold with my Voodoo. I was always more of a fan of the DH model because of my obsession with red anyway.

Latest posts

Back