Almost-retro machine in "active service"

David B

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Firstly, thanks to the RB members (chiefly pete_mcc, kase1983 and mynchiboy) who've sold me bits and bobs over the last 18 months or thereabouts - the idea I had in my head for the bike I wanted to build finally fell into place over last autumn. My bike isn't totally retro as it does have current-issue Mirage Ergo levers (to work a 16sp 'Shimergo' set-up), front mech and dual-pivot brakes. Otherwise it's a good approximation of a decent-level early-to-mid '90s road bike, based on a Look KG241 carbon frame with Time Sprint carbon fork (threaded steerer!) , and old-but-still-good bits such as a Sachs New Success rear cassette hub, Mavic 840 rear mech :cool: and a L&M 'Stardrive' square-taper crankset converted to a 52-38 road double. Oh, and some 'proper' (i.e. not Keo) Look pedals to match the frame! However, this is my main road bike and not just built up as a conversation piece or for a bit of fun - so far this year I've raced in 3 times in local 10-mile time-trials resulting in 3 top-ten placings from quite big fields (all with their fair share of 'identikit' Giants, Treks, Specializeds, etc.), and a 10-mile personal best last Thursday evening! :) Admittedly the not-so-retro ITM tri-bars are a big help!
Anyone else out there finding that their 'old school' kit can still hold its own against more modern bikes?

David

If I missed it, please forgive me, but that sounds like a very nice bike and I really would like to see some pictures of it. Perswonally, I think old bikes can hold their own against modern bikes, certainly in the class I compete. As long as my physical condition is far less then the condition and quality of the bike, I have no worries and I really doubt if shaving of some weight by using a modern bike will actually improve my performance. It might in a TT, but I haven't done that yet and I might never.

Senri":ncmp3vlv said:
If I missed it, please forgive me, but that sounds like a very nice bike and I really would like to see some pictures of it. Perswonally, I think old bikes can hold their own against modern bikes, certainly in the class I compete. As long as my physical condition is far less then the condition and quality of the bike, I have no worries and I really doubt if shaving of some weight by using a modern bike will actually improve my performance. It might in a TT, but I haven't done that yet and I might never.

No, I haven't put any pics up of it yet, but am hoping to do something about that before too long.

David

Back