Help from dutch friends ! Dutch city bike

bduc61

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi

here is one of my work bikes (for short town distances in a suit !)

It is an Altra, and from dutch origin ;)

Would be interested to know if dutch bikers can tell me a bit more about it.

I would say from the 70s ? or slightly later ?

regular sturmey archer three speed and drum brakes ( a bit dangerous as they age I think as you need to anticipate quite a bit ;) !)
thanks

altra003.jpg

altra001.jpg

If it has Sturmey hubs, they'll have a date stamp with three numbers.
XX X where XX is the year, and X is the month. It's a fair assumption to say the wheels are the same age as the bike.
I don't think it's that old.

Cool bike... I've actually used a bike like this one as my very very first "mountainbike" :cool: Although mine was a Batavus but it looked very similar, also had drum brakes and a Sturmey/Archer 3-speed hub.

And when I finally totally wrecked that poor bike (it actually put up with about 2 years of abuse in the woods), my parents finally recognised my need for a proper MTB. My mum wouldn't let me have one before, just like I was never allowed to have a Honda MTX or motocross cycle :-(

Man I loved the Honda MTX... :-( But anyways, nice bike ;-)

Decent shopping bike, in fine nick, but nothing too glamorous I'm afraid.

Altra is the "house" brand for a large chain of shopping bike stores in the Netherlands. They offer very similar package in terms of design and components to established brands such as Gazelle, Sparta and Batavus at a discount price. Good value for money, and I think S/A gears and drum brakes would make this a deluxe model in 1981.

Enjoy!!

Back