31.8 bars

You could say the same about the increase in headset size to 1 & 1/8. An eighth of and inch is just silly.

Now 1'' bikes are old & dated :twisted:

Ditto chain width and sprocket pitch. Manufacturers never get rich by keeping old stuff rolling, like it or not.

Wu-Tangled":2z7lkq1u said:
would imagine the same design to be heavier (marginally) as with bars as there's more material.

Isn't the idea that wider tubing can use thinner material?

Dave_H":mc987x8h said:
Wu-Tangled":mc987x8h said:
would imagine the same design to be heavier (marginally) as with bars as there's more material.

Isn't the idea that wider tubing can use thinner material?

Gary Klein thought so. But it looks like nobody else does.

I've got an oversize bar on my 853 steel Genesis Altitude as that's what it came with. It's got risers too, and 100mm suspension forks, 27 gears, disc brakes etc etc. All of these gimmicks that manufacturers brought in but apparantly we don't need. Funny that it's way better to ride than any other rigid/hardtail i've owned since 1994 :?

On a point of pedantry, the X4 is not lighter than the X2. You must be thinking of the old Elite, which for a 'normal' sized clamp stem is a fair whack heavier than either the X2 or X4.

For a given length/rise the X2 is about 20g lighter than the X4 as it has a very different faceplate. Both X2 and X4 are oversized and essentially differ only in the faceplate design.

[/pedant]

oaep7":1ipvpczk said:
Not sure about heavier, Thomson X4 is lighter than X2 and monkeylite 31.8's are 150g

but thats only what ive read

Question from me

I know the centre bit is 31.8mm dia, but does that make my shifters and brakes obsolete, as these are marked up as 22.2 dia, and hence clamp nicely to my traditional 1" bars...........

the great roberto":2mp0vdsc said:
I know the centre bit is 31.8mm dia, but does that make my shifters and brakes obsolete, as these are marked up as 22.2 dia, and hence clamp nicely to my traditional 1" bars...........

No, the OD at the ends is the same as regular 25.4mm bars.

Back