Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

Firstly thanks for the info Silverclaws secondly Neil those blue Maguras would be just the thing for mine ,if you have ANY intention of getting rid please let me know ;)

silverclaws":30hps0pc said:
Seat was a Saracen number, leather on foam

These were actually a Selle Italia Gel with a Saracen badge, still got an old one somewhere ;)

My '91 was DX mechs/thumbies, DX pedals, Black LX everything else (cranks & hubs). Kili was up one from mine though (I had a Traverse), mine was also Tange of some sort (someone tell me what sort please !!!)

Silverclaws if your seatpost is 29.4 pm me and we'll talk about relieving you of it for financial gain of course ,likewise with you neil for the saddle ,if youre selling it of course ;)

Saddle has been for sale for ages, people don't look past the first few pages though. I also have the correct Kalloy post too if you want it....when my Saracen comes back from the dead it will be something 'unholy' and will bear no resemblance to its former self :twisted:

Neill

Sidewinder":3j2l2igk said:
Silverclaws if your seatpost is 29.4 pm me and we'll talk about relieving you of it for financial gain of course ,likewise with you neil for the saddle ,if youre selling it of course ;)

Sorry, 26.2mm, I always hated that design, like a ninety degree bend at the top, that the clamp sits on, it adjusts, but not well enough, it was always a pain to set up. The reason why I now have a anodised red USE post, a design I always admired.

neilll":2gmi2k2v said:
silverclaws":2gmi2k2v said:
Seat was a Saracen number, leather on foam

These were actually a Selle Italia Gel with a Saracen badge, still got an old one somewhere ;)

My '91 was DX mechs/thumbies, DX pedals, Black LX everything else (cranks & hubs). Kili was up one from mine though (I had a Traverse), mine was also Tange of some sort (someone tell me what sort please !!!)

My '93 Tufftrax Elite has Tange MTB Tubing. The '92 True temper AVR was lovely stuff, all ovals where the tubes met. It seems also the paint finish on the earlier cycle was better too, they are both metallic black powdercoat, with a clear laquer over coat, but the later paint job just seems a bit hurried in application, especially where the seat stays meet the seat post.

silverclaws":2pkooyqz said:
The '92 True temper AVR was lovely stuff, all ovals where the tubes met.

Could mine be that too?

My '91 has elliptical profile tubing, the top tube is a vertical 'oval' where it meets the headtube and at the other end it's 'twisted' and is a horizontal 'oval' where it pierces the seatube. The bottom of the seatube is also ovalised across the BB shell. The decals just say 'Tange Elliptical Profile Tubing' but I would like to know what sort of Tange ;)

AFAIK True temper AVR is 'basic' Tange, i.e. non heat treated cromoly (Like Tange MTB) and not as posh as Prestige......feck knows what mine is made of :?

Neill

Yep, you just described the tubing on my old '92 Traverse Elite, so possibly it is the same. As to it being basic, well it never broke and that bike got used hard, so as to heat treated and special tubing, it did'nt need it. Also I notice the welding on my newer cycle is not quite as smooth as I remember, and I do remember aesthetic details of things, I am impressed more with detail than the overall look of an object, that frame was beautiful compared to all my pal's bikes, and the pressed Saracen 'S' on the end of the pierced cross bar, is one of those details I like, on my newer frame, I have scraped that out and am inlaying it with white metal or possibly silver. The head tube badge I am making up a model so I can cast a white metal badge and enamel the coloured bits. I was never impressed with the sticker, the brake cable rub destroyed it in no time.

silverclaws":6f0dcmfw said:
As to it being basic, well it never broke and that bike got used hard, so as to heat treated and special tubing, it did'nt need it.

totally agree, all I meant was Tange MTB wasn't as exotic as some of the other tubesets, mine did about 10,000 miles over 6 years with some heavily laden overland camping trips in the mix too.....it is soon to be reborn as something a little 'leftfield' and fun but this is what it looks like right here/right now http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31907 :cry: :cry: :cry: Looks a bit forlorn :LOL:

Back