Blatent profiteering

We all know you can buy a complete bike and split it, then make good money from the bits you sell.

I'll be honest and say I do this all the time. I;d actually say Ive found a sweet spot as the money contributes to a lot of the bikes and components I have now. I do get bargains, I do pay top dollar for a lot of stuff too. Ive also bought pigs of items.

Some bits I do buy and resell for more.

Again - market will dictate what its worth, but as long as both parties (buyer and seller) dont feel like they've been ripped off then i dont see a problem. As long as its not a blatent attempt at making a killing then no noses are put out of shape.

I do recollect that "saddle" auction and I feel that was a quite bad in terms of instantly profiteering on something so soon, BUT at the end of the day if someone is willing to pay that then fair enough. Not quite how I would have handled it but hey.

We all have control of our wants and our wallets so lets just be intelligent about our decisions.

This is a good collection of people with an unsurpassed enthusiasm. Lets keep it that way and as long as noone gets miffed - lets keep it rolling.

unfortunately my plans to buy and strip always work out crap cos I either..

-end up keeping all the bits of value :cool:
-sell stuff off too cheap cos I start feeling guilty :roll:
-end up keeping bits of less value cos they are hardly worth selling.. doh!

As Jez says, as long as both happy, no problem really.
Looking at it another way, someones gone out and found the bits for you - without you having to buy a bike and strip or hunt for months, how cool!!

i'm as guilty of this as anyone.
i'm not sure if there is anything wrong with picking up a bargain and selling it on for a profit.
i often buy stuff i don't need which is cheap and sell it on this forum or stw for a profit.
the money helps fund my retro projects.
it doesn't always work though!
i've made a loss many times.
i've often paid way over the odds for retro parts i need (knowingly) but, an item of retro mtb stuff is worth what the buyer is prepared to pay.
i've tried to buy items off forum members which i know the price they have paid, only to be quoted double that price.
i have refused to pay the asking price but, i still don't have a problem with it.
if you own an item, you are free to ask what you like for it.
if you don't like the price, you don't buy it.
this forum is a group of retro bike enthusiasts and freinds who buy, sell and trade at prices they think fair.
it's not a charity, just a great place to make freinds, chat and have a good time!

I think the incident Russell is refering to is a little bit more blatant than 'the ebb and flow' of things.

If you bought something for £x on ebay on monday, would you then put it up on here for £10x on wednesday? No I didn't think so, you may pop it on and ask for offers and that is fine.

I feel if you got it for a song then Karmicly (that's not a word is it?) you should share the wealth ;)

look guys.
i am a member of an old school bmx forum and this exact issue resulted in a lot of respected original members leaving.
at the end of the day, you are free to choose how much you are prepared to pay for an item.
likewise, any other forum member is free to choose what to price to ask for an item they have for sale.
there is no point in getting a downer on people if you think they are trying to turn a profit or are asking sky high prices.
just don't buy if you think they are taking the mick.
threads like this will not stop high prices or people turning a trick.
they will just cause ill feling and result in forum members getting offended.
i've been a member on here from the early days and would hate to see the site spoiled by bickering over prices.
just rise above it an don't buy.
we are all freinds aren't we?

Okay. I'll go with Gaf on this one ;)

I know my own house is in order, next time I get a flat I'll know it's not 'cos of this :LOL:

Seriously though, the last thing we need is any ill feeling on here.

Easy guy's ;)

yeah. No worries ---->

If you feel its too much to pay for something DONT PAY.

Simple!

That person will either be lumbered with that article or they will have to drop their price.

Simple!

:cool:

Crap!

Seems I've got it backwards.

I've given away more on this forum than I've sold...time to rethink the whole "do unto thy neighbor" thingy ;)

rody

end up keeping all the bits of value
-sell stuff off too cheap cos I start feeling guilty
-end up keeping bits of less value cos they are hardly worth selling.. doh!

That's the problem I'm having with this Zaskar :D :D :D

im with the if you want to pay it, do so and if you dont , dont :!:

however as we are a retro community why dont we have a trade forum :?: , a bit like a swap shop. It could be very similar to the auction watch feature that we already have, but instead of component makes, split it into groups i.e bars and stems, drive train, frames, forks etc take pictures of your items that are surplus to your requirements along with a list of what you require ;) it cant do any harm, lets face it the majority of us have ongoing projects all of the time, therefore most of us require most parts most of the time :!:
Not to mention the convienience of logging on to look through a selection of bars etc that you know will come from a good source and will go to a good use :D a bit like e-bay without the cost :!:

i would much rather trade some things that i no longer require to get something that i need, than be buried under a mass of useless kit ;)

just a thought ;)
jon

Back