bmw mini lay-offs

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I simpathize but whats the point of propping up an industry geared for thousands of purchases of shiney new cars when, nobody wants to buy said shiny new cars...

Yeah, but the way they did it was disgusting.
Imagine working somewhere for 5 years, then getting sacked with 1 hour's notice. No redundancy pay, nothing.

Yup handled poorly, but these things are never easy even under the best of circumstances.

And Ironically I am after a shiney new car...just I cant find any one prepared to sell me the type of car I want for the money I am wanting to spend.

Things in the motor trade are tough just now, especially for dealerships

that weren't ready for the eventual and well warned "credit crunch" .

A lot of places were paying too much for customers parts exchanges

and were therfor left with a lot of overpriced tat that was going to lose

money when it went off to the auction.

Still busy where i am, sold 3 today myself, so its still ticking over nicely.

most of the stock we have is £2-3k BELOW the current market value.

Just dont expect the market value for your px :roll: , we do get pretty

close sometimes though :cool:

I'm here if anyone wants me ;)

Gc

chris667":1p8prhbi said:
Imagine working somewhere for 5 years, then getting sacked with 1 hour's notice. No redundancy pay, nothing.

Whats the story there? who got sacked?

I heard some union bloke droning-on about how it's disgusting that BMW are not selling any cars???? on the radio today. This bloke thinks they should still keep producing cars flat out to keep the boys in jobs. Has this bloke forgotten why we don't have a motor industry any more? Blindly churning out stuff no one wants, gobby unionists mouthing off and calling the shots to a commie workforce and and a product that has been allowed to get a little long in the tooth. Sound familiar? feck me it's like 78 all over again.
Sorry to sound harsh but what do they expect? do they think BMW will throw itself down the toilet just like BL did? If these guys want a future and jobs to go back to when things settle down, they'd show a little support to the company that has kept motor manufacturing going (especially when it's frankly much easier and cheaper to build elsewhere) and see that thats what BMW have to do to weather the storm then thats what they have to do. Its called forsight. If it wasn't for our union pal on the radio and his red predecesors we might still have a bloody motor industry of our own!
Another nail in the UKs coffin I guess. Pass the hammer.

Si

enid_puceflange":3d18yzd5 said:
Things in the motor trade are tough just now, especially for dealerships

that weren't ready for the eventual and well warned "credit crunch" .

A lot of places were paying too much for customers parts exchanges

and were therfor left with a lot of overpriced tat that was going to lose

money when it went off to the auction.

Still busy where i am, sold 3 today myself, so its still ticking over nicely.

most of the stock we have is £2-3k BELOW the current market value.

Just dont expect the market value for your px :roll: , we do get pretty

close sometimes though :cool:

I'm here if anyone wants me ;)

Gc

What is it you sell, I am after an early model 2.5 BMW Z4 if you have anything going.

Dr S":3ih6ywtq said:
chris667":3ih6ywtq said:

Whats the story there? who got sacked?

I heard some union bloke droning-on about how it's disgusting that BMW are not selling any cars???? on the radio today. This bloke thinks they should still keep producing cars flat out to keep the boys in jobs. Has this bloke forgotten why we don't have a motor industry any more? Blindly churning out stuff no one wants, gobby unionists mouthing off and calling the shots to a commie workforce and and a product that has been allowed to get a little long in the tooth. Sound familiar? feck me it's like 78 all over again.
Sorry to sound harsh but what do they expect? do they think BMW will throw itself down the toilet just like BL did? If these guys want a future and jobs to go back to when things settle down, they'd show a little support to the company that has kept motor manufacturing going (especially when it's frankly much easier and cheaper to build elsewhere) and see that thats what BMW have to do to weather the storm then thats what they have to do. Its called forsight. If it wasn't for our union pal on the radio and his red predecesors we might still have a bloody motor industry of our own!
Another nail in the UKs coffin I guess. Pass the hammer.

Si

What he said....

I've also been in meetings where its 'goodbye and thanks for all the fish', it isnt fun, espesh when it was a 60 year old company with third generation employees.

A brand new car should be considered a luxury - fecksake theres thousands of perfectly decent used cars out there for a tenth of someones vanity... :roll:

My 8 year old Passat TDI (PD engine) is showing 52.5 mpg around town, I got my 2001 Mondeo up to 378,990 miles, I cannot ever justify myself buying a brand new car, ever...

I don't mean to sound harsh, i hate to see anyone loosing their jobs, but these were all agency staff, that's the nature of agency work. No notice has to be given and no redundacy pay, aswell as no sick or holiday pay unless the agency pays.

That's fair enough, but I think companies have a responsibility to the people they employ. Maybe not legally in this case, but morally, I think so.
The writing's been on the wall for most of the car industry for years, and really these companies should have seen that.

Latest posts

Back