1989 GT Karakoram K2

reanimation":3d73xx7u said:
...... You could always build a bruiser bike for all round dirrrdy muddy days out, that's what I'm upto. ;) get out to some meets, I only dared do one but I'll be back. PS there were some very clean prestigious bikes that braved the mud that day :cool:

For sure... I'd love to build something more for use and a dirt bruiser sounds just the thing, seeing the builds on here has given me that urge seeing what can be achieved. Pretty keen on early kona or orange maybe, something familiar from bitd. Have got my eye on a brand new bike anyway for major usage, it'll be an Orange and something i wouldn't be worried about upgrading and for getting hold of parts etc, but we'll see.
A meet would be just the ticket i'd be up for one of them if it's within reach. Be a good opportunity to see some fine bikes plus get the GT all thick with mud once again :)

mtbfix":delbrmgq said:
...Not wishing to brag, but I took a set of the Ame grips off a Tequesta that came in for repair last week. They are a bit tired but should go well on the 92 Richter project.

No worries ;)
thanks to exbiker i shall have good set of Ame grips with me in the next day or two..plus he's throwing in a couple of crank caps i've been looking for. Well chuffed with that outcome! :)

after seeing a thread about reskinning old, tired out saddles and desperately wanting to do something about mine I thought may as well give it a go..

I used some leather from a jacket i've had almost as long as the bike itself (been meaning to throw it out tbh).
After spending a bit of time prepping the seat, removing the old skin and any remains of glue all i did was paste on some evo-stick impact glue and wait for it to dry for half hour...or go from a milky to clear like it says on the tin. Done this to both the top and base of seat and to the leather section being used. Once ready it was placed over and stretched out as much as i could. A final trim around before sticking the overlap to the base making sure everything was as smooth as could be. Bulldog clips were used to clamp all around for a few hours to ensure a nice secure, tight bond and hey presto! :)
Not sure if i might try and get it restapled somehow with some 4mm staples but after seeing how strong the bond is i doubt it would need it.

Very pleased with the way this turned out. It's just a tiny bit of luxury plus was nice to keep the stock seat and bring it back to life again. :D Might try and reproduce a small GT logo on the side at some stage using a stencil and paint but we'll see.

before
DSCN01181.jpg

DSCN01191.jpg

after
DSCN01261.jpg

DSCN01231.jpg

Good work. I'll have to find an old leather jacket and re-skin the saddle on my Karakoram Elite now.
Looks very neat and tidy. I wouldn't bother with the staples if the glue is holding everything in place already if I were you.
Well done that man!

drystonepaul":135cbhn2 said:
Good work. I'll have to find an old leather jacket and re-skin the saddle on my Karakoram Elite now...

Thanks Paul. I've got enough leather to probably re-skin another 5 seats so have plenty left over if you want a section for your elite. Let us know and i'll send you a section for your saddle :) Be nice to see it getting used anyhow

wayne

Thought i'd take the old girl out for some fresh air over the weekend through some local forest trails as she was feeling a little neglected since the new bike. Couldn't resist stopping for a few photos along the way..

DSCN8186.jpg
DSCN8188.jpg

DSCN8191.jpg

DSCN8190.jpg
DSCN8199.jpg

DSCN8197.jpg

DSCN8200.jpg

DSCN8201.jpg

DSCN8195.jpg

DSCN8202.jpg

Back