Campione del Mondo Decal

qvw

Dirt Disciple
Hi all, does anyone know why this decal would be on my Italian built Atala frame? As far as I can tell (based on my internet searches), is that it should only appear on Bianchis - which mine is obviously not....

Also, decals like these are incredibly hard to find as "replacement items" so is there any way to remove these off of the bike in one peice prior to a restoration job?

Attachments

• n682429487_2058165_2561[1].jpg
    n682429487_2058165_2561[1].jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,591
qvw":1i1fjoo0 said:
Hi all, does anyone know why this decal would be on my Italian built Atala frame? As far as I can tell (based on my internet searches), is that it should only appear on Bianchis - which mine is obviously not...
Why so? Any manufacturer that produces a bike used to win a world championship can legitimately use the World Champion stripes. Urs Freuler won a number of world titles on the track for Atala between 1982 and 1987:

http://www.velo-club.net/article.php?sid=22092

FREULER%20Urs%20-%206.JPG

http://www.siteducyclisme.net/coureurfi ... eurid=5354

Also, decals like these are incredibly hard to find as "replacement items" so is there any way to remove these off of the bike in one peice prior to a restoration job?
No, they're as thin as a layer of varnish, and impossible to remove in one piece. You could take detailed photographs and have reproductions made if it's important to you.

It strikes me though that this is a decent, modest little bike in what looks like reasonable condition and original paint - perhaps a better candidate for an everyday retro rider than a full-bling C-Record restoration. Your call, of course.

It strikes me though that this is a decent, modest little bike in what looks like reasonable condition and original paint - perhaps a better candidate for an everyday retro rider than a full-bling C-Record restoration. Your call, of course.[/quote]

These pics are fantastic. I've looked at them all and I'm even more excited to get it restored now. Based on the links provided, there is a lot more history in this frame than originally thought. I'd like to keep that as much as possible but I need to weigh up the costs.

I've added a pic of the rust coming through which is another reason I want to restore before it gets too bad...

Attachments

• n682429487_2058050_2543[1].jpg
    n682429487_2058050_2543[1].jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,562
Back