my first dable at singlespeed

At a recent meet at Mugdock park north of Glasgow we were discussing the merits of SS and unconnected, the joy of V-brakes over canti's.

I had a moment of clear thought :shock:

In SS momentum is your friend and canti's cannot scrub off as much of this valuable resource as more advanced braking systems.

Thus retro canti's are the SS brake of choice :LOL:

You meet a scary obstacle, cant stop and thus have to power through it ;)

Cheers All

Hmmmmm.

Most of the SS riders I know run V's some of them run discs. Only a couple I can think of run cantis and they are running very retro mounts.

Most SS riders in this neck of the woods don't like complication and as such tend to avoid suspension of any kind. However the same doesn't apply to cantis. They are, if anything, more complicated than Vs. V brakes are as simple as it gets.

Canti's are SHEEITE
One area of true progress....yes, you can get them set up and work really well...after about 10 frigging wasted hours

I like V's

They are my friends

I like disc too

Our conversation on the merits of canti's ran to much laughter and then we got back on our V-braked steeds :D

SS rocks, simplicity rocks, V-Brakes ROCK :D :D :D

Cheers

I wouldn't say cantis are shoite.

Proper "frogleg" cantis work fine, but low profile stuff such as might carry the Shimano name won't work without the proper setup. If you have fat tyres you'll never get them right, the straddle gets too close to the tyre in the optimum postion. Diacompe power hangers certainly help and are still available for pence.

V brakes however, just work.

If people have a reason for fitting cantis (historical accuracy, drop bars and ergo/STIs) then they'll just have to put up with the hassle of setting them up. Otherwise you may as well stick with V's.

Discs? No thanks. V brakes are more than good enough to lock the front wheel, why would you need better brakes than that? For years I ran a canti at the back and a V at the front on my SS Amazon. Why? I could only afford to upgrade the front, and the canti was enough to lock up the back wheel, so it stayed.

The story of the V brake is that somebody supposedly made a V brake out of a low profile canti setup. If they did they certainly weren't running 2" tyres!

Singlespeed and Maguras go well together i think. All adds up to virtually zero maintenance, Which can only be a good think :cool:

GarethPJ":k30769hz said:
Discs? No thanks. V brakes are more than good enough to lock the front wheel, why would you need better brakes than that?
Because disc brakes offer better modulation (so that you don't lock the wheel), don't collect mud and crap like V brakes tend to do, work predictably in wet and muddy conditions and don't wear your rims away.

That's enough advantages for me anyway.

Latest posts

Back